Unlocking question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Andrewp49, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Andrewp49 macrumors newbie

Ok so this is my situation. My friend and i each bought an Iphone 4 from the states a few weeks ago they came with 4.0.2 installed. We live in South Africa so we need to unlock the phones. From what i understand once the greenpois0n jailbreak comes out it will be possible to unlock the phone?

The next problem is i (stupidly) updated my phone to 4.1 and so my basband got updated to 02.10.04, am i screwed as far as unlocking the phone goes, even once the new jailbreak comes out?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Did you buy a phone and sign the relevant contracts? Don't you still need to pay AT&T whatever you have to pay them? And how did you manage to buy an Iphone without a USA address?

And there is no news for the newest unlock, so hang tight (maybe for a long time)

3. Andrewp49 thread starter macrumors newbie

The phones were bought from an apple store for full price without an AT&T contract.

Andrew

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Hope, that new unlock comes out with 4.1 JB. Otherwise, you will have to wait longer.

OP could have bought non contract phone from USA Apple store, or more likely, from eBay.

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

So non-contract phones are still carrier locked?

That's stupid.

6. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Yep, and AT&T in the US will not unlock any iPhone (even if you try and pay them).
    If it were that easy, all of us in the US would have unlocked phones.

To OP, if you updated your phone, the new baseband cannot be unlocked for some time until a new exploit is found. You should not have updated as you are now stuck.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you have a monopoly on a hot commodity, would you want people using other carriers? Of course not.
    Corporations are greedy. Don't expect AT&T to act generously--at least before the exclusivity ends.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats AT&T for ya in the good old USA:)

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Since they need root access (jailbreak) to play around with unlocking the baseband is pretty safe to say that the "unlock" will lack behind 4.1 Jailbreak released, and since 4.2 would be few weeks to release, I may not be surprise if it is delay even farther, so you may be stuck with a very expensive brick on South Africa for a little while sorry.