Unlocking question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zorn, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

A friend of my dad's that lives in Hungary asked him to get her an iPhone since they are so much cheaper here, and so he was asking me if I could unlock it for him. I ran across a program called ZiPhone that just basically has a little checkbox and unlocks a 1.1.3 iPhone in minutes. We tested it on my 8GB iPhone, and upon inserting a TMobile SIM it works great. My question is though, will this brick my iPhone when 1.1.4 comes out? I am an AT&T customer, I only did the unlock for testing purposes.

I am hoping all it does is just relock the phone to AT&T, which wouldn't matter to me. Anyone have any idea on this?

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

well we will have to wait and see, geo hotz unlocked this phone iphonesimfree style he said and iphonesimfree has been pretty good with surviving updates and so far did not brick any iphone so i could say yes but not for sure.

3. dsl4c macrumors member

who knows what the 1.1.4 (1.2? or 2.0?) update will do.. it took a while for there to be a solution to unlock 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 so, I would imagine, that after the next update, if you chose to update, it would re-lock your phone and you'd have to wait (how long? who knows!) for folks to find another solution to unlock the next version of firmware..

4. Zorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Well like I said I'm not concerned with keeping the phone unlocked, I only did it for testing purposes. If all the update does is relock the phone then that is fine by me, I just don't want it to brick the phone.

5. cartman187 macrumors newbie

i have heard some people complaining that the unlock code was made public the way it was, as apple are sure to fix it with the release of 1.1.4, i dont really agree with this as it has made a lot of people very happy. i have also heard rumours that apple were involved with the timing of the release of the unlock code, as it has fuelled sales of the 16gb phone and the 32gb touch. i find this believable because the timing is very convenient for apple, and the ability to easily unlock and install apps makes the devices much more desirable.
    they may have to fix the phone unlock, but there is no way they would brick peoples phones purposely, it is just not good business, their products would be a lot less desirable. and there would be so much negative publicity, everyone in the internet was chatting about how their phones got bricked. and if they do it will surely be fixable. As others said its best to wait and see, and not upgrade until you know it is safe, or know of the best way to do it.

6. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

to re-lock your iphone just do a restore in itunes then activate it there. you should be fine.

dont update to 1.1.4 when it comes out until news has spread that there's a solution to be on 1.1.4.