Unlocking question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AbjectEvolution, Jun 20, 2010.

1. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I currently have a 3GS with 3.1.3. iOS4 comes out tomorrow and I would like to check it out. I'm wanting to sell the phone on the 23rd. I know that the unlock is supposed to come out within a few days of the iOS4 release, correct? Should I keep my phone on 3.1.3 and unlock that, or do you think I could go ahead and update to iOS4 and unlock that instead? Basically... are they releasing an unlock for iOS4 or just 3.1.3?

2. Stankonia macrumors regular

The unlock is for iOS4

The only risk is that the jailbreaking/unlocking tool may or may not be released before you sell your phone. It should be, but you never know. Like the guy below says, you might want to wait to install iOS4 until we know what's going on.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

I would say do not upgrade to 4.0 till Dev-team says to upgrade. that is plain and simple if you do it before you might delay how soon you can unlock. and all we know from the dev-team the unlock will be out soon. watch there blog or there will be people that report it here.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot unlock a 3GS thats been updated to 3.1.3
    All you can do for an unlock is wait till the new unlock for 4.0 is out.

5. AbjectEvolution thread starter macrumors 6502

So you're saying that early next week when they release the unlock, it will be for 4.0, not for 3.1.3? If so, then I'll go ahead and update on Monday.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will be available for 4.0
    Exactly when though nobody knows.
    Should be soon.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You missed the whole point of the advice you were given.

Never update to new firmware until the DevTEam releases the tools to jailbreak and unlock.

With that said, it is extremely unlikely you will see a new jailbreak and unlock immediately after the release of iOS 4 and iPhone 4. The DevTeam is very cautious about releasing anything until it has been well tested.

Also, MuscleNerd (with the DevTeam) has stated on several occasions, that both the baseband for 3.1.3 and baseband for 4.0 will be un-lockable with the new tools.

8. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Musclenerd and Sherif on their Twitter feeds now saying 4.0 is unlockable WTF

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

They have known since GM was released they could unlock that 5.13.xx baseband.

If Apple throws a new baseband into tomorrows iOS 4 public release, we shall have to wait and see.