Unlocking questions/help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jbute2k2, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jbute2k2 macrumors member

I am moving to Europe and would llke to swap out sim cards and use my iPhone 4. I was told I would have to unlock the phone.
    I understand this will void my phones warranty but does it work the same as a jailbreak? As in, if I restore it...It wipes away everything and acts as if it was never unlocked?

Also, how hard is it to unlock?
    What are my worries?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You need to jailbreak before you unlock, the unlock is just a program that breaks the baseband (radio) seal so you can use it with any GSM network.

So when you take away the jailbreak, it also take away the unlock (wipe it like it was never unlocked)

It's very easy once jailbroken, just go to cydia and installed a package, let it run, reboot and boom!.... you are unlock.

Worries...well..there was a battery life issue that it was being looked at, and there was a release yesterday that it suppose to adress this issue, besides that no other reports.

Keep in mind that some features are only going to work on official networks (facetime, visualvoice mail) and for MMS you need to add the correct servers.

That's it.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

What package in Cydia will allow you to unlock your phone?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Ultrasn0w (i believe the most current version is 1.0-1)

5. jbute2k2 thread starter macrumors member

So I jailbreak it, unlock it then just switch sim cards and I should be good?

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Yes. Since you're moving out of country, don't forget to cancel your current service.