Unlocking school-locked Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eth1129, Feb 16, 2009.

1. eth1129 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to unlock my little brother's macbook so he can put Pandora Jam on it (extremely important, I know LOL). I figured out how to unlock websites, but can't figure out how to let him install apps. Any advice by someone who is smarter than me would be much appreciated :)

2. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

well how is it locked?
    is there an app that doesn't let you install stuff or does leopard block?

3. portent macrumors 6502a

Just save your brother some trouble and tell him to skip school next week.

If you want him to get in trouble at school, he may as well have some real fun doing it.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If you are talking about trying to bypass website blocks and such over a school's network, you aren't going to have any real help here. Those blocks and restrictions are there for a reason, because they don't want people trying to do what you are trying to do.

And I am pretty sure that discussing means to bypass blocks on somebody else's wifi or internet network is against the forum rules here.

5. eth1129 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not trying to bypass any kind of wifi or internet access block, trying to figure out how to bypass the block that doesn't allow the installation of new programs

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I don't understand something. Who does this laptop belong to? If it belongs to your brother then why has the school put a block on it? If it belongs to the school why are you trying to hack the school's property? Just thought I ask since the thread title suggests it belongs to the school and no one else has asked...

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

Its the same type of rule. If it is the schools property than they have every right to restrict and limit what you can or cannot install on their property. If the laptop is the property of the school, you will have to consult with them. If it your own personal property, than you should be able to install whatever you wish

8. Zortrium macrumors 6502

You still haven't said exactly what the block(er) is. If the problem is just that you don't have admin rights, then you can't drop anything into /Applications, but you can download applications and put them into /Users/<whatever>/Applications, which works just as well for anything that's just dragging and dropping the application file.