Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eth1129

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
New York City
I'm trying to unlock my little brother's macbook so he can put Pandora Jam on it (extremely important, I know LOL). I figured out how to unlock websites, but can't figure out how to let him install apps. Any advice by someone who is smarter than me would be much appreciated :)

M.a.r.k.

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
well how is it locked?
is there an app that doesn't let you install stuff or does leopard block?

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Just save your brother some trouble and tell him to skip school next week.

If you want him to get in trouble at school, he may as well have some real fun doing it.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
If you are talking about trying to bypass website blocks and such over a school's network, you aren't going to have any real help here. Those blocks and restrictions are there for a reason, because they don't want people trying to do what you are trying to do.

And I am pretty sure that discussing means to bypass blocks on somebody else's wifi or internet network is against the forum rules here.

Reactions: Audit13

eth1129

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
New York City
If you are talking about trying to bypass website blocks and such over a school's network, you aren't going to have any real help here. Those blocks and restrictions are there for a reason, because they don't want people trying to do what you are trying to do.

And I am pretty sure that discussing means to bypass blocks on somebody else's wifi or internet network is against the forum rules here.

Not trying to bypass any kind of wifi or internet access block, trying to figure out how to bypass the block that doesn't allow the installation of new programs

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I don't understand something. Who does this laptop belong to? If it belongs to your brother then why has the school put a block on it? If it belongs to the school why are you trying to hack the school's property? Just thought I ask since the thread title suggests it belongs to the school and no one else has asked...

Reactions: Audit13

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Not trying to bypass any kind of wifi or internet access block, trying to figure out how to bypass the block that doesn't allow the installation of new programs
Its the same type of rule. If it is the schools property than they have every right to restrict and limit what you can or cannot install on their property. If the laptop is the property of the school, you will have to consult with them. If it your own personal property, than you should be able to install whatever you wish

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
You still haven't said exactly what the block(er) is. If the problem is just that you don't have admin rights, then you can't drop anything into /Applications, but you can download applications and put them into /Users/<whatever>/Applications, which works just as well for anything that's just dragging and dropping the application file.

dlopez64

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018
You still haven't said exactly what the block(er) is. If the problem is just that you don't have admin rights, then you can't drop anything into /Applications, but you can download applications and put them into /Users/<whatever>/Applications, which works just as well for anything that's just dragging and dropping the application file.
it is to bypass the administrator username and password if u know how to bypass it please let me know on the lock

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
it is to bypass the administrator username and password if u know how to bypass it please let me know on the lock
Aside from that comical bug in High Sierra (10.13.1) where the admin login was just root with a blank password, there is no way (that is the whole point). The closest would be to get a external drive and install macOS onto it, so that you will control the admin access for that (unless they also block starting the computer up from an external drive).

dlopez64

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018
Aside from that comical bug in High Sierra (10.13.1) where the admin login was just root with a blank password, there is no way (that is the whole point). The closest would be to get a external drive and install macOS onto it, so that you will control the admin access for that (unless they also block starting the computer up from an external drive).
what if it dont work then what do i do

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Buy another computer or erase and reinstall macOS. Or find a new bug that bypasses admin and become famous. The whole point of the admin account is that it controls everything and cannot be bypassed. This High Sierra bug was the first such bug in a long time.

If you reinstall the school will notice the change (their admin account would be gone and any apps they had would also be gone). And there would be questions and punishments.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm trying to unlock my little brother's macbook so he can put Pandora Jam on it (extremely important, I know LOL). I figured out how to unlock websites, but can't figure out how to let him install apps. Any advice by someone who is smarter than me would be much appreciated :)
Just guessing here. The school may be using the same tech that corporations use. They have locked a profile to the computer from the factory using DEP. That profile has restrictions that do not allow app installation. There is nothing you can do to bypass this type of protection. Even wiping the computer will not help as part of the restart will reinstall the MDM restrictions profile.

You should not be able to unlock websites either. You can always use a proxy to bypass school filters, but this would be in violation of federal law as well as school policy. This is pretty obvious on the network, if anyone is watching. I wouldn't play the cat and proxy game, I'd build a whitelist.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Just guessing here. The school may be using the same tech that corporations use. They have locked a profile to the computer from the factory using DEP. That profile has restrictions that do not allow app installation. There is nothing you can do to bypass this type of protection. Even wiping the computer will not help as part of the restart will reinstall the MDM restrictions profile.

You should not be able to unlock websites either. You can always use a proxy to bypass school filters, but this would be in violation of federal law as well as school policy. This is pretty obvious on the network, if anyone is watching. I wouldn't play the cat and proxy game, I'd build a whitelist.
the op is from 2009

Reactions: DeltaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.