Unlocking Sprint iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MartyXB, Sep 11, 2014.

1. MartyXB macrumors member

Looking to move over to Tmobile with 5 out of contract Sprint iPhone 4s. Tmobile retail said it could be done once phone is unlocked. Called up Sprint and they gave me 5 six digit codes, one per line and said to simply give those codes to the new carrier "and they will know what to do". Can it be so simple? I thought they have to unlock it on their end and somehow iTunes has to be brought into the mix.

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Usually the way carrier unlocking works for iPhones is as follows: the carrier submits the unlock and then the owner uses iTunes on the computer to restore the iPhone and iTunes give a nice little popup congratulating you on your unlocked iPhone.

That being said, I believe Sprint's unlocking is weird and it unlocks for every carrier worldwide except AT&T/T-Mobile here in the states. So that's something I would double check first.

3. MartyXB thread starter macrumors member

Went back to tmobile retailer and they agreed, all they need are the codes. Will try it on one line and see what happens.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I highly doubt it's this easy. Did you confirm with the Sprint rep that the unlock you were asking for was a domestic unlock?

Sprint only unlocks for international use.

If it is this easy then you will be the first person I've heard of that did it.

5. MartyXB thread starter macrumors member

Then what codes did they give me? I did previous international unlocks and they never gave me codes. It was done on their side. Also why did tmobile agree that this is all they need. I will probably get an iphone 6 plus (havent decided carrier yet), port over my number, this frees up one 4s, then try to see if i can bring it over to tmobile. If successful i will bring over all.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I can't answer your questions. All I can tell you is that historically Sprint has only unlocked for international use.

Just a few months ago there were at least two people in the forums here trying to get a Sprint 4S unlocked for T-Mobile and it wasn't happening for either one. Now, the newly signed unlock law may have something to do with it, but IDK. You'd be the first I've heard about that Sprint just allowed to walk away unlocked.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that Sprint has changed it's mind, just that this would be most unusual for them.

But if that's all T-Mobile needs and the whole thing goes right through for you, well then maybe there is a change in Sprint's policy that hasn't been reported yet.

7. Soozn macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4S with Sprint- they gave me the MSL code. Sprint rep said if I take the phone to a local electronics or cell phone repair service --they could unlock it with the MSL code and I could use it with any carrier. Sprint said they do not unlock, but a 3rd party could with the MSL code.

hoping this is true so I can switch to another carrier in the USA.
    Anyone had success with this?

8. some1uDNTknow macrumors regular

some1uDNTknow

MSL codes are useless when it comes to iPhones. Sprint reps are given that information and don't know any better. It's not possible, sorry.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Is that specific to the 4S or ALL iPhones?

I got the six digit code for my iPhone 5 that I was hoping to sell as "Unlocked" but I'm not sure what exactly I got here.

T-Mobile Prepaid Sim - Phone says carrier not supported

Old Empty International Sim - Phone says "ATT" on top but I can't test if it works

IF the furthest possible to get is International only then I can just sell it to my mom who travels a lot. But if I can get a full unlock by talking to the right people then I'd prefer that so any advice is appreciated.

10. MartyXB thread starter macrumors member

Decided to stay with sprint. Cant seem to break away from them; been with them since 1998 now contract free and was sure this time I will break away.

Plan cost looks as follows, two iPhone 6 plus bought outright. 5 existing iPhone 4s. $75 for 20gb shared (+ 2gb per line) ($100 less 25% discount), 5 * $15 access fee, two new lines (free first year) for a plan total of $150/mo (before tax and fees) for 7 lines previously I paid $250/mo for 5 lines post taxes and fees. This of course assumes I understood how the new plan works.

11. some1uDNTknow macrumors regular

some1uDNTknow

That six digit code is useless when it comes ALL iPhones, including your 4S. Apple needs to unlock your iPhone through their backend system, that is why you need to restore the phone via iTunes once Apple has unlocked it. You don't enter any codes or provide anything.

So how will Apple unlock your phone? Well, they do not take personal request. The carrier needs to implement their solutions and reach out to Apple in regards to unlocking a customer's phone. Sprint has chose to not do this, and all their reps are oblivious to the fact that codes do not work with unlocking iPhones.

Your only hope is that Sprint will start doing this after February of 2015, and if your phone still has an active line, they might just unlock it, but I doubt it. It will be only be devices released / launched after that date.

Sorry