Unlocking the iPhone 4 with 04.11.08 baseband.(Repost, made a mistake)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Reunix, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Reunix macrumors newbie

Hi fellas, let me first start off with just saying that this is my first post on MacRumors and that i am kind of new with the whole iPhone business of unlocking and basebands, and all that.

I have a problem, that some other iPhone 4 buyers are having as well, one being stupidity for not understanding how dangerous it can be to update a unlocked iPhone, and the second, not understanding all there is to understand in preserving the baseband. And that's why i'm here... I'll cut to the chase.

I updated my iPhone to iOs 5.01 and got the new baseband, and what i am wondering, and don't worry, i have been reading a lot of forums, posts, etc. And none have quite explained how and why the baseband can't be reverted, and i also found this very nice post, that i think maybe can work, i need the opinion of some more skilled veterans.

The post i read goes like this:
    Uninstall iTunes 10.5 and install 10.4 which you can find by googling. Download 4.3.5 ipsw from iclarified and do a custom ipsw restore in iTunes by either shift clicking on restore in iTunes after selecting your iPhone on the left side (Windows) or option clicking restore (Mac). Then you can direct your mouse to the 4.3.5 ipsw you downloaded from iclarified. Restore your iPhone to 4.3.5 this way and then uninstall iTunes 10.4. Reinstall 10.5.

You can either cook your own 5.0.1 ipsw using redsn0w for the next part, or you can google custom 5.0.1 ipsw to preserve your baseband. I used redsn0w and it was simple. You HAVE to upgrade to 5.0.1 with a custom IPSW if you want to unlock, there is now way to unlock if you don't.. as you know it will stick you with 04.11.08 if you use the basic ipsw.

Then do the steps again to restore your phone to a custom ipsw, go into iTunes 10.5 and shift or option click restore, direct to the CUSTOM ipsw and install it on your phone. After this, you can then run redsn0w to jailbreak and install cydia.

This process essentially restores your phone to 4.3.5 to get the correct baseband for unlocking, then restores it again to a custom 5.0.1 which preserves the 4.3.5 baseband which you need to unlock..

After this you can unlock as usual through ultrasn0w. Here's a quick overview if you don't know ultrasn0w...

Go into cydia and add the source : repo666.ultrasn0w.com/

It might already be in your source list. Then search ultrasn0w on cydia and install it. Do a tethered boot and you are all set... I am not sure if the tethered boot is absolutely necessary but I did it to be safe.

This seems like a lot of info but I just wanted to include every detail. And yes, this does work. It may seem like a lot of work but the entire process took me about a half hour, because I had to download itunes, 4.3.5 ipsw and cook the custom 5.0.1 ipsw.

Hope this helps you guys. Again, you MUST upgrade to 5.0.1 using a custom IPSW if you want to preserve your baseband. If you don't then you will have to repeat this process or stick with an AT&T phone. I am unsure if this works for verizon, but I would assume it would as long as you get the custom IPSW from iclarified for a verizon iPhone.

You can find this post here: http://forum.iphone-developers.com/c...4-11-08-a.html

What i am wondering, if this trick actually can work?

Hey cheers for your time guys, i know it's a tedious and long message to read, but if u can give me some insight into how to resolve this crappy problem, u have the right to give me the whole " you are stuck with a pricey ipod now kid" speech, but, i'm learning fast, and i sure as hell won't make a mistake like this again.
    Best regards, Reunix.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In short there's nothing that can be done.
    Don't bother searching or asking why or how.
    The baseband cannot be downgraded and that phone currently can only work on the carrier it's locked to.

3. Mademan macrumors newbie

At&t

If u are on at&t's network u can switch to h20 witch is a prepaid company that runs on the at&t network. They offer unlimited call & text with 2 gb data a month 4 $60.00. H2O wireless. The phone does not have to be unlocked.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

OP, what you quoted was a method to preserve the bb. You've already destroyed the unlockable bb. It no longer applies to you. You made an expensive mistake. Now decide what you're going to do. I suggest a factory unlocked phone, as you never have to worry about the bb ever again.

5. lucky005 macrumors newbie

I tried the whole method but itunes never restore to 4.3.5 it shows the error as "iphone cannot be restored error 3194" i left with no option till now first try and tell please...

6. Doba macrumors newbie

I do a lot of jailbreaking and unlocking phones living here in Europe.

I had an iP4 on 4.3.5 and the another iP4 on 5.0.1.

Using iFaith I saved SHSH from 4.3.5 and built a custom "signed" firmware with it. I was able to even get the one on 5.0.1 downgraded to 4.3.5.

I too read somewhere on the internet that you could downgrade to 4.3.5 and it would give you the unlockable baseband.

The whole process was all for nothing. It did not work.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Again, you can never downgrade bb. You can, however, downgrade the iOS as they're separate things.
    If someone posted that you can downgrade the bb, the person is an idiot.

8. Doba macrumors newbie

Don't say never. 3G phones with certain bootloaders can use Fuzzyband.

I know you can't downgrade baseband, but it was worth a shot. A few people claimed it worked.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you said that you were working with a 3G, I wouldn't have. However, you and the OP are trying (unsuccessfully) to downgrade the bb of the 4. There's no point in mentioning the 3G, as its pretty much antiquated. Also, it's doubtful the OP or you are going to get one.