Unlocking the next iPhone...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sk8mash, May 19, 2008.

1. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I know no one really knows for sure, but seems as the 3G iPhone will be using the same software as the current one, will it be as easy to unlock?

I ask because a few weeks back I took advantage of the £169 price at o2 and bought two iPhones, unlocked one and sold it on eBay, and unlocked the other for me. Looking at eBay now, the price has gone up from the £225 that I sold mine for, to around £300! I am more than willing to sell my phone for £300, if I know I can get an unlocked 3G iPhone in the near future.

What do you reckon?

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I would be SHOCKED if the new iphone didn't have significant improvements in terms of preventing unlocking. Whether hardware or software, it will certainly be made more difficult to use it on a carrier other than what it was intended. ATT lost a lot of money on unlockers so I'm sure they are insisting that Apple improves in this area.

3. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

So even though its the same software, you reckon it will be harder to unlock?

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

not really. Pwnage tool has already unlocked the beta version of the upcoming software. Since current iPhone owners will be able to upgrade it shouldn't be too difficult to unlock it once it does come out. All in all you should be safe to sell it and then buy the new one with the ability to unlock it.

5. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Well my iPhones on eBay now for £270. If some nieve person buys it, then im not complaining!

6. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Well within 30 minuets of it being on eBay, someone has already offered me £250. What should I do?! haha,,,

Edit:

The auctions been up for 4 hours now, and I have had 5 offers, none of them scams. I wish I had bought more iPhones, would be raking it in!

7. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Sorry to double post, but I bought my iPhone a couple of weeks ago, unlocked it and used it. I bought it for £169, and it is now on eBay, and someone has offered £260. Thats for my used unlocked iPhone. I would really recommend anyone who is thinking of selling there iPhone before the 3G one, to do it now!

8. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i thought i read that ziphone is already working on an unlock/jailbreak hack? since the 2.0 firmware is out on beta and people have already broken that, i think they're getting closer to getting inside what should be in the 3g iphone. but who knows until it actually comes out.

9. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Good! Cause if it doesn't get unlocked, I will be back on eBay buying a new 1G iPhone!

10. sananda macrumors 68020

how much do you have to pay in fees on £260?

cex are buying at £250 today.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think there are two sides to this coin. As I understand it, every jailbreak / activate / unlock procedure that has come out to date has involved a vulnerability or exploit of some kind in the iPhone firmware. Correct? And Apple progressively closes these exploits as they update. In that sense, it gets harder continually over time. On the other hand, they release new features with their new updates, some of which create new vulnerabilities that can be exploited.

So who knows? It's basically a question of whether Apple can find and close all the doors before the hackers get to them. And whenever the hackers tip their hand about the existence of a vulnerability, even in the beta, it gives Apple a chance to close it. What's really remarkable about the iPhone unlocking success so far is that it means that there were a number of vulnerabilities to be found and exploited and it really didn't take long at all to find them (particularly after the very first one was found -- since then, updated firmware has been unlocked almost right away in most of the cases!).

I'll be interested as well to see if the hackers can continue to stay ahead of Apple.

12. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

13. sananda macrumors 68020

http://www.cex.co.uk/products/Phone...LA&name=Apple iPhone 8GB, Unlocked A&mode=buy

i was going to sell mine on ebay for £289 (buy it now) which would have cost around £20 in ebay and paypal fees. but because scammers were trying to get on ebay i sold it to cex. not at £250 though!

14. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

firmware is 1.1.4, 2.0, etc. as mentioned, with ipwnded and other hackers that have had 2.0 beta firmware, it's already been cracked.
    again, no one knows just yet since no one has an actual unit, but the firmware hack side of it is pretty much done.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But why is it a reasonable assumption that the firmware hack will work on the non-beta, final release version of the new firmware? The purpose of the beta is primarily to allow developers to work on SDK apps and otherwise prepare for the new version of the software, right? Their SDK-based apps live in a black box constrained by what the SDK allows them to do and live far, far away from the level at which these hacks operate, from my understanding. So I don't see a lot of reason to expect that the hack that works on the beta will continue to work on 2.0 (although, I really meant more in the long term, for successive revisions after that).

16. ThePeacemaker02 macrumors regular

I hope so since I'm holding out to buy one. Zibri said that the firmware is done hacking he just has to get the new version of iTunes. I hope he can get it working fairly quickly so I can get the phone ASAP.

17. darrellishere macrumors 6502

Off To CEX WE GO!!

Hope the Zphone wil be updated to accomidate 2.0! based on the 2.0 beta.
    My B grade iphone is off to cxr tomorow, for £200 towards my White/maybe black plastic, Fat! iPhone.
    Exept I can't emagin life with out it :( lol borring long waite until WDC.
    Wish I still had my blue shuffle! XX ;)
    (I hope they release a supper slim iphone too) No expensive, supper FAT 3g please!! Skinny, White - Wi Fi iPhone for me! BABY ( Come on Jonathan Ive's) Your a English designer!!!

18. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Firmware beta 2.0 has been unlocked, this doesn't seem to be too difficult for the h4x0rs these days. What will be the challenge with the new 3G iPhone is unlocking the baseband on the new chip that makes it tick. They'll do it I'm sure, buit no one can know how long it will take.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Let me refer you to your first statement.

21. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Well I sold mine today for £270 which is a £100 profit, so I guess its just time to wait for the new iPhone! :)