Unlocking user folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yotah8r, Jul 15, 2008.

1. yotah8r macrumors newbie

Hello all, new to the forum. Looked around a bit, but didn't see any posts quite like my problem. A couple years ago, I had an iBook G4, after various charger and battery problems, I gave up on it. Got it fixed after a while, only to have my son accidentally jerk it to the floor breaking it completely. So, I parted it out, and kept the hard drive. While I don't have a Mac machine right now, I can access the HD with an IDE-USB adapter using Ubuntu. The problem comes in here: There was 2 users set up on the iBook. Myself, and my wife. While I can access a lot of stuff on it, there are three or four folders that are locked and I don't have permission to access. Anyone know how to get access to these files? Sorry for the long read, but thanks in advance.
    Kelly

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I had problems reading HFS+ volumes in Ubuntu after certain path depths. This was on external hard drives that were only used for storage.

3. yotah8r thread starter macrumors newbie

I can see everything fine, but there are certain user folders that are locked, because I don't have certain "privileges". And even on the top right of the icon is a little 'X'.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You can't do it as a "user", but you can access them if you become the "root user".

5. yotah8r thread starter macrumors newbie

Even when it is accessed as an external HD?

I forgot to mention that I was trying to access this from a Windows PS running Ubuntu.