Unlocking without jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ratfox, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ratfox macrumors newbie

I have a couple of questions.

First, I understand that if I want an iPhone that is unlocked, but not jailbroken, I have to jailbreak it, unlock it, then de-jailbreak it. Is this correct? After this, can I upgrade it without locking it, or does upgrading lock it again?

Second, I have two iPhones 4, the first one is 4.3.3 baseband 4.10.01, and the second one is 4.0.2 baseband 1.59.00.

From the info on this link:
    http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2011/05/08/iphone-4-3-3-unlock-everything-there-is-to-know/
    The first one cannot be unlocked YET

And from the info on this link:
    http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/unlock/
    The second cannot be unlocked, and likely never will be, as it is an old version nobody is working on (the only such version, lucky me).

All of this correct?

...Unless buying a Gevey or a Rebel, of course.

2. iLoyal macrumors regular

The 2nd one with the 1.59.xx, yes, you can unlock it with software or gevey sim. The 1st one, it can also be unlocked with gevey sim.

Unlocking by software, you need to JB then unlock; but with gevey, you can unlock it without JB.

3. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

It's been a while since I've had to unlock my iphone through a jailbreak, but I don't believe much of the above is correct.

First of all, "de-jailbreaking" means restoring the phone in iTunes - this will inevitably restore the lock.

Similarly, upgrading will restore a new version of iOS on your device, hence also restoring the lock.

When upgrading, it is important that you ensure your baseband does not get upgraded such that an unlock is still available.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The iPhone 4 4.3.3 baseband 4.10.01 can only be unlocked by a Gevey and they normally do not require a jailbreak but I believe that one of the newer ones does.

The iPhone 4 4.0.2 baseband 1.59.00 can be unlocked. All you have to do is jailbreak with Redsn0w and go into Cydia and install Ultrasn0w and you'll be unlocked!