Unlocking without proper SIM

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tc250, Apr 5, 2010.

1. tc250 macrumors newbie

Alright this is what happened. My friend gave me an iPhone, it was Jailbreaked and Unlocked. Me, being an idiot, accidentally updates the firmware to 3.1.3 which factory resets everything. So now the iPhone doesn't read my SIM card anymore.

Reading guides on the internet, it seems I have to Jailbreak the iPhone first to unlock. But even if I Jailbreak the iPhone, it STILL will say that I need a proper SIM to get the phone to work. So I'm still stuck unable to do anything in the iPhone.

So is it actually possible to unlock without a proper SIM card first? Or is the only possible way to unlock is by using a working SIM card first, then unlocking and switching SIM cards?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You hacktivate the phone when you jailbreak it if you plan to unlock also. Official sim not required, but, if you can "borrow" an official sim to activate it with instead of hacktivation, push notifications will work.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You didnt even mention what iphone model it is.
    If its a 2G you can both JB and unlock. 3G you can JB but not unlock it and 3GS you might not be able to do either.

4. tc250 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 3G.

I can't borrow a SIM card because the phone is from a different country. But anyway, the question was just if it was possible to unlock it without a working SIM card. I guess it is possible, just waiting on the release from the dev team i'm guessing?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, once a new unlock is released you should be able to unlock and hactivate it. Nothing at the moment though.

6. tc250 thread starter macrumors newbie