Unl'td data plan on iPad--transferrable to iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SteelWheel, Jan 10, 2011.

1. SteelWheel macrumors member

Yes, I was one of the first people to jump on the iPad wagon when the unlimited data plan was available. I'm sure to get an iPad 2 (for me, this has become my must-have device, even more so than the iPhone, or even my MBP in some ways).

I fear that I will be SOL when iPad2 ships. Believe me, I can run through those capped data plans within a matter of days (lots of Slingbox-ing and other data-intensive projects in my usage patterns). Any idea if I will be able to transfer my data plan to the new model?

If not, my only other hope is that Verizon will have the new model from the jump, and will have the same unlimited data plans for the iPad that they are rumored to be offering for their version of the iPhone.

2. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

there's no way to tell for sure yet but the logic is that the plan follows the SIM and not the device. the caveat would be that AT&T may have issue depending on if Facetime is allowed over 3G. then they might have an issue with unlimited data users.

(considering the expectation that 2G will have camera for Facetime)

3. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Given the iPads place in my life this is a big issue for me as well. Not enough to get me not to trade up to the ipad2 of course :) but something I will follow with interest...

4. Built macrumors 68020

First generation iPad owner here...but JUST missed the unlimited data plan. I hate the 2GB cap...

If Verizon ends up jumping in on iPad 2...with built-in data service AND an unlimited plan....I will make the jump over to Verizon for the iPad 2.

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed 100%

Love my iPad but the 2gb is a game-changer.

If it sticks or is not raised significantly, I won't be getting another.

If it goes unlimited, I will get it on any carrier in a heartbeat

6. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

I believe that the data plan sticks with the account not the device itself. If your iPad got stolen and was not recovered you would get a replacement and put it on your same AT&T account so the plan would not change.

It is like when you upgrade your cell phone, you can get a different brand phone and the data and voice charge remains the same provided that you stay with the same carrier.