Unlucky iMac buyer!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ronel129, May 2, 2009.

1. ronel129 macrumors newbie

I feel very unlucky with my iMac purchase. First i pre-ordered the 4850 March 3rd and after a month of waiting i received it an i was getting the dreaded lock up. So i opted out for a replacement last week and it arrives today. I see the lock up was fixed with an EFI firmware update and was thrilled however the replacement has dead pixels which the 1 sent back did not. Its only 2 pixels but still how unlucky is that? What do you guys suggest i do? Will apple even consider another return is it even worth doing in my part?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Apple is not going to do anything with only two dead pixels. You would need a significant amount. But I supposed a phone call to apple care can't hurt, but I don't think they will do anything.

3. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Go ahead an try. Perhaps they may replace it.
    Good luck!

4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

+1

Yes. Please try and let us know how it works out for you. I'd love to know.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...due to your history already sending one back, they may help you out...good luck.

6. Psychmike macrumors regular

Are you sure they're dead and not stuck? On the off chance that they're stuck, before you go through the trouble of sending it back, I would suggest running one of the many free programs that flashes the pixels rapidly. That has often worked to unstick stuck pixels.

For those considering external monitors, Dell's premium ultrasharp line offers a zero-defect guarantee.

7. ronel129 thread starter macrumors newbie

Am not exactly sure i know the difference between dead and stuck. One of the pixels appears black in color i assume thats dead. The other pixel seems to have a red color.

8. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Search pixelmurder.mov and you may be able to fix your pixels,
    better yet, here it is.

http://itasor.com/pixelmurder.mov

Move your browser window to the affected pixel and let it run for 5-60 minutes and see if it revives your pixels.

You might not want to watch the screen ;)

9. ronel129 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Call up apple to see what they can do. For that kind of price it shouldn't come with any dead pixels.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it arrived yesterday you can still change it to new one because it's under 14 days policy

12. sotov macrumors newbie

I couldn't disagree more. For doing any kind of visual art one or two black pixels on the screen is completely unacceptable. For many this would be considered unuseable as the compositions one works with are marred. As far as I know there is no "acceptable quota" for dead pixels in a new product. I would return the imac simply because you didn't get what you paid for.

13. iNew2Macs macrumors newbie

Nice, well said. :D

Yes!! They should give you a new one.

14. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

+1 I would return it as well.

15. bajee macrumors regular

will this apply to BTO iMacs?

16. davemulheran macrumors regular

err.... just bullsh*t and say it still freezes, then get a replacement (you are within 14 days yes?)

then hopefully your replacement wont have dead pixels

17. ronel129 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple truly is a great company the guy i spoke with said 6 pixels or more is the limit but since i had just received mine he would offer a replacement. Hopefully replacement is issue free.

18. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Good news, glad it all worked out!

Apple is a good company - well, at least the guys working at my local store are great. When I got my new iMac, I had ONE dead pixel, and they let me exchange it for a new one without any hassle. :)