unmatched buffalo ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ant1-Hero, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

futureshop has a great deal on buffalo ram for my mbp, but it comes in two seperate packages, will i have any problems running in dual channel? or should i play it safe and order the 2x2gb crucial kit?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If there the same modules but out of two different packages just buy them

3. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Dual channel for us laptop users means installing memory that is matching in size (i.e. 2 x 1 GB or 2 x 2 GB modules) and the same speed and latency (if speed and latency aren't matched then the lower speed and higher latency would be used). If the memory modules you are referring to are the exact same but just come in two different packages then you will have no issues with running in dual channel.

EDIT: I just saw the ram I think you are talking about and it is $49.99 for each 2 GB stick. You know you can get 2 x 2 GB of OWC from macworld or whatever it is for cheaper (not much cheaper, but still cheaper).

4. DocSmitty macrumors regular

What SVT said. If they are the same product, it's just a question of whether the manufacturer puts 1 into a package or 2 into a package and calls it a "kit."

Just curious, how much are they selling it for? I'm assuming you're in Canada so Newegg is out, but you can get 4gb online for ~$80 US.

5. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Looks like Newegg is where I need to get my ram, I'm in the market as well.

6. Ant1-Hero thread starter macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

it works out to 100 bucks, said they could shp in over night