Unoffical thread on speculation for the SDK to drop at 5:30pm tonight

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by poorbusker, Feb 26, 2008.

1. poorbusker macrumors member

So we all know Apple has had a love affair with Starbucks for sometime and the iPhone is their love child. Apples first App for the iPhone was the iTunes Music Store which had major functionality with Starbucks and their stores.

So fast forward to today. Starbucks stores are closing at 5:30pm across the east coast and later across the country in an unprecedented training session for their employes. This could very well be the best way for Apple to do some showing off with Starbucks.

Think about it, Apple creates an App showing the power of the SDK by releasing a Starbucks ordering App like the one's we have seen in recent months. In conjunction with this they release the SDK to developers who have just gotten to see how powerful the SDK can make the iPhone firsthand.

Its wonderful to speculate on because I feel that Apple would not have released a Firmware update at the end of February with no announcement that the SDK is late as they very well know people are expecting it.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's actually a really good point, I read the article about Starbucks closing from 5:30-8:30 across the country today but I didn't even think of any connection to the SDK.

People have been guessing that a couple big apps would be released with the SDK and a Starbucks ordering app would certainly qualify.

3. bosxe macrumors member

bosxe

It was stated in another thread that this was a nation-wide training session on normal, run of the mill, type stuff. (Starbucks has been unhappy with recent sales, supposedly)

Whether it's true or not, there is a starbucks in the mall where I work. I'll definitely be poking around tonight to see if something is up. ;)

4. poorbusker thread starter macrumors member

but closing down all your stores to train people is really the only sane way to implement such a groundbreaking and new way to order food. I'm not saying that ordering on the iPhone is the only thing being covered in these meetings, but it could be apart of it.

I'm just holding out hope that today is the day we finally start to get new functionality to the iPhone.

If its true, expect Apple and Starbucks to be showing this stuff all over things like the Today Show tomm. morning

5. atomsk47 macrumors newbie

The only thing that discourages me from this theory is not all starbucks even support the last starbucks/apple application and this is all stores at once.

6. poorbusker thread starter macrumors member

well its a great way to bring in people and get starbucks back on the front page.

I read the training lasts untill 8:30pm est. so I'm putting my money on an 8:30 announcement of the SDK

7. skikid419 macrumors member

skikid419

you have to take in the fact that pst stores wont be open till 11:30 EST
    why would apple spoil the fun (if any) until all the stores open again? im goin with 1130

8. EmptyPockets macrumors regular

Not to be a naysayer but this seems like quite the stretch.

Seems like some more info would have leaked by now. Would apple come down to train? Do the managers already know? Leaks would have happened.

9. ijohn3 macrumors member

Actually, according to starbuck's website, they are closing for 3 1/2 hours. They should be open back up at 9pm eastern.

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The Starbucks near me in California is closed until 8:30pm pst...

I talked to my local barista who's doing training for other folks there tonight, and she said it was about pulling shots and steaming milk, not iPhones. :p

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If this GUI is 80% as beautiful as the earlier Photoshops then I will be ecstatic! Are we completely certain that iTunes is the pathway to deliver these apps? It seems that 7.6.1 was entirely Apple TV related and we would require 7.6.2 for the SDK, correct?!

12. poorbusker thread starter macrumors member

true...you would expect leaks..but maybe not. maybe Starbucks managers are legit people who don't leak..I think that if this is going down...I would expect maybe some people in these training sessions to start calling or texting people if they find out anything, probably any time now.

13. iansilv macrumors 6502a

If ATT took over the wifi contract form TMobile, then it would affect all stores and sort of force each store's individual hand

14. EmptyPockets macrumors regular

Every starbucks is closing nationwide? That must be hundreds of thousands of managers (guestimate considering how many starbucks are around where I live)

15. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I could see MAYBE upgrading something at SB for something Apple, but NOT closoing the store for three hours to do it. ANd what possible reason could there be for closing that relates to the SDK? NONE. Unless baristas are programing code. The whole idea is absurd- get a life!

16. poorbusker thread starter macrumors member

I don't think that the entire 3 hour meeting is about this, rather only one 30min part.

17. atomsk47 macrumors newbie

This really could go either way in my opinion because it also seems pretty rediculous to close every store in the nation for 3 hours to do training. I work for a pretty large cable company and when we change anything that requires training we don't close every call center and local office for 3 hours just to teach something simple. This really sounds like there is something the public is not being told.

18. KristenM macrumors regular

I agree. Why can't they be doing both?
    Learning how to not destroy my drink (as they did this afternoon) and getting training on the new system. Plus with the stores shut down other people could easily be in installing anything new that is needed.
    I'm kind of like a little kid right now and I will continue to believe this is happening until it's confirmed it's not. :)

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Who knows? We might not even need iTunes to deliver. All the apps might have something that checks to see if iPhone is connected, then install it that way.

20. iansilv macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is farfetched at all to think that ATT is about to allow all iphone users free access to wifi in all starbucks locations. I think the firmware update might have had something to do with enabling this so it transparently goes in and out of wifi without the notification, and ATt's wifi spots are now setup to detect iphones. This was a big deal to Steve Jobs- wifi usage is better than 3g.

I also think that a three hour training session has little to do with screwing up a drink- unless they are about to use an entirely new ordering system from iphones. I think the sdk is about to be released, and the first application will be a starbucks iphone ordering system. This would be awesome- send your order to the register with your payment info already done, wait for your name to be announced. In fact, that may even go live before the sdk is announced. And I could see us all waking up tomorrow morning and having an updated itunes with iphone applications ready for purchase. Because whatever is happening with the training session, they will not be able to keep it under wraps when it is done.

Just my thoughts.

21. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

This might not mean anything but my iTunes music store is down right now. Does anyone else have the same problem? I'm talking about on my iPod touch not computer.

22. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

store on my .4 iphone is fine.

23. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

Another thing that I just noticed was that my clock is messed up. Mine says 3:05 when its actually 7:30. Is anyone elses messed up? This is really weird.

24. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

0 for 2. maybe something is wrong with yours ;)

25. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

Ya something is deffinatly is wrong with mine, and I didnt jailbreak mine.