"Unofficial" 29w adaptor

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by felixen2121, Mar 25, 2016.

1. felixen2121 macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm thinking about getting a 29w power adapter for my 12.9 iPad Pro. I think the price for the Apple adapter is pretty steep. Especially after already paying a lot for the tablet, Smart Cover and back case.

I'm thinking of maybe getting this one
    http://www.amazon.de/iProtect-USB-C...sr=8-2&keywords=apple+29w+usb-c+power+adapter

Does anyone think there would be any problems in not using an official one? I would probably be getting the official usb-c to lightning cable from Apple to go with it.

The purpose of it all would just be faster charging :)

2. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

You risk damaging your gear using non official charging products.

Cheap out on a case or a stand, but don't cheap out on anything that involves charging or making electrical connections with these devices.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I spent over £1000 on my IPP, case, pencil, etc: There's no way I would ever risk that investment by charging it with an unofficial charger. IMO, some things just aren't worth penny-pinching on and a charger is one of them!

4. felixen2121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess I will stick to slow charging for now.

5. CyberTron macrumors newbie

isn´t that adapter for the macbook with a usb-c port? i would think that charging the ipad pro with a more than twice the watts/amps would seriuosly burn the ipad

6. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

Apple recently released a lightening to USB C cable expressly for use with their 29W adaptor and the iPad Pro. That said I always use Apple chargers with Apple devices for safety reasons.

7. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Likely the same story as with this fake MacBook charger...

[​IMG]

Apple chargers are expensive for reasons other than just the Apple logo. Not worth the risk buying a fake one.

8. robotic. macrumors newbie

robotic.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why does the charger need that much complexity anyway? Surely it's just pumping power from Point A to Point B?

9. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Details are in the article, here's a quote:

I don't now much about these things, but it's safe to say that they're there for a good reason ;)

10. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

they have to regulate power/current, they have to sense temp increases over X time and determine when to slow/trickle charge so as not to overheat the lithium and cause an explosion. they also have/should read the current battery charge state when its full and continue to top off the float charge of the cells as the device is charging.. etc etc and so forth... :p

11. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

This is why you get a "non supported" accessory message with some 3rd party chargers/cables/etc. Not only is there power being delivered but also a com channel, which could be a malware/virus vector (maybe not so much with iOS, but other devices).