Unofficial accessory alternatives?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RichardMajor86, Mar 15, 2012.

1. RichardMajor86 macrumors member

Like the best of people, i love official apple hardware. However sometimes it does seem a bit expensive.

Camera Connecter kit
    Official
    Unofficial

HDMI Kit
    Official
    Unofficial

Smart Cover
    Official
    Counterfeit
    Unofficial

So, who buys what?
    I want a Camera Connector kit and a HDMI cable, but i dont want to pay the full Apple costs.

2. mitch.dunc macrumors newbie

I would buy the unofficial Camera Connector and HDMI cable. Since it is all digital, your picture quality shouldn't be different using different connectors. I would probably go with the official Smart Cover because I have read reviews of the unofficial ones to have weak magnets.

If the price difference isn't much, I'd just get the officials.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

HDMI cables are pretty much the same so buying an unofficial brand is fine with me.

I wound up getting the official camera connector kit (I'm a sucker, I know). The all in one card readers would've been nice but I'm fine with the official Apple branded ones.

4. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

you sure that's a counterfeit smart cover?

looks like one of the apple originals with the grey back vs. v2 with the matching color back

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Read the reviews.

6. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Pulled the trigger last Saturday and picked up Red Smart Cover at Apple store. It looks really nice, but $70!!! So overpriced. Waiting for my new iPad to use it.

7. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

My unofficial CCK works fine. Definitely worth the $4 I paid for it on Amazon.

My knockoff keyboard, however, really isn't worth the $25 I paid for it on eBay. The keys stick all the time and sometimes he only way to get it to stop repeating a letter is to toggle the BT on and off.

I've been meaning to get an unofficial hdmi cable, just haven't gotten around to it.

8. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

The US reviews of the $5 camera connection kits on Amazon are very hit or miss. I ordered a cheap mini display cable from an Amazon 3rd party seller once before. It fell apart when I plugged it in! I saw how the connectors looked to be superglued or poorly soldered into place with fray wire going everywhere.

Needless to say I'm very leery...