Unofficial iPad answer to Kindle pool ad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chrisqmalibu, Sep 20, 2010.

1. chrisqmalibu macrumors newbie

2. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Yes. ;)

3. chrisqmalibu thread starter macrumors newbie

Will try again this coming weekend. Got to clean the lens, filters and spend the whole day instead of 15 mins :). It's so much work trying to get rid of all the artificial flare. Flare messed up everything. Shooting into the sun reflecting off the iPad is not easy with polarizing filters (I only have Moose filter, a stack of 2 in one designed for the Nikon D1).

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

The Kindle, Nook and other e-Ink devices still beat the iPad in readability under bright sunlight. But that's all these devices will ever do, for now.

I have to admit though, I do miss my Nook. I miss being able to read my eBooks outside during my lunch break.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Not really sure what you're demonstrating here. I have both devices. And given your demo - and my real world testing, I would read on a Kindle2 outdoors at the beach WAY before I ever brought my iPad.

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I don't get what this is a response to either. The kindle ad showed that the iPad looked like crap to read outdoors and that you can see your reflection in the screen more clearly than the text...and your video demonstrated the exact same thing...

7. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

And they show that because it's TRUE.

Why try to argue against the truth? I have a $150 kindle in addition to my $800 ipad. I take the Kindle to the pool. I can read it and I won't die if it gets stolen.

Maybe you can mock up a video of an iPad with a matte screen? If only Steve would allow...

8. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

This seems more like a camera lens educational video instead of an iPad commercial.

9. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

Even a matte screen will not help.

That's it I'm buying another Nook just for reading eBooks.

11. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

I don't get your point at all? are you trying to show how bad the iPad is outside? If so then good job.

The Kindle is better outside. Done.

This doesn't mean the Kindle is better than iPad overall (of course)....just works better in this instance for this particular usage. As it should.

12. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

How often does anyone read books outdoor? If so, bring a huge umbrella along with you. What percent of your time, do you spend outdoors reading a book. Me, never! Anyways, can't you a certain background similar to kindle and font color. Adjust the brightness. Could this create a psuedo e-ink appearance?

13. samcraig macrumors P6

No.

You'll never match (with today's tech) the equivalent of e-ink. Which is why this video is a fail as it's been pointed out.

If you don't read outside - then it's of no consequence to you.

The point of Amazon's ad was that for people that DO (and there are millions) - having a Kindle has its advantage. Which is accurate.

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Love my iPad, but i've had my eye on a Nook for quite some time. They both have their purposes.

15. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

During the summer I like to read out on my back Deck and I assure you that the iPad is not suitable for this purpose.

It doesn't mean the iPad is bad....just that the Kindle is better for this purpose.

Try reading a Kindle in the dark without a light. No good.

They each have their pluses and minuses.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Two different devices, two different purposes, yes there's some overlap, but that doesn't mean they're the same.

You wouldn't use a hammer to drive in a screw, and you wouldn't bang your screwdriver against a nail. One's not better than the other, you simply use them for different circumstances.