Unofficial Lightning USB Cables and Adapters Launching Soon at Significant Discounts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2012.

1. B2FiNiTY macrumors member

totally valid argument. I've tested loads of "chinese" cables that have inferior materials and specs that have resulted in burning out the usb hub, phone, battery, etc.

standard usb voltage won't damage it but the cable itself could cause short circuit, over voltage, and other conditions.

2. AppleScruff1 macrumors G4

AppleScruff1

Because they are unauthorized and Apple doesn't get any money if you buy one.

3. Sajornet, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

Sajornet macrumors newbie

Has it shipped now?

4. aross99, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have a tracking number on my order at the web site, and it says it just arrived at the delivery post office, so I would hope I get in in the next few days...

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I received my two Lightning cables from Fasttech rather quickly, considering it was shipping from Hong Kong. Unfortuntely, one cable didn't work at all and the other one only worked on one side.

I contacted Fasttech and they responded with an apology and shipped out two more cables, ensuring me that these two new ones were properly tested, and to discard the old cables.

They're not anywhere near the same build as Apple's Lightning cables, but I never expected it to, but at least that their customer service is responsive and accommodating.

We'll see the final result of my experience when I receive these two replacements.

6. xXxDieselxXx macrumors member

Did you get the replacements yet? I'm about to pull the trigger :D

7. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

Where are you guys getting those prices? 1,5€ a normal 30 pin cable, around 3€ for a lightning

8. YoungTheKing macrumors newbie

i still want to know too.

9. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Yes, I got the replacements and they both work fine. So I ended up with two "and a half :)" cables for $15. I'm satisfied with it.

10. xXxDieselxXx, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

xXxDieselxXx macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I actually ordered the gold plated cable on Nov 27. from FastTech

It shipped the same day I ordered so they seem pretty quick. I'll let you guys know how the gold member behaves :D

EDIT: got the cable and it's working just fine. Quality is not bad but not even close to the original.

So far it does everything and it's reversible as well.

11. IMaMACnow macrumors newbie

Scam?

Haven't received my order in 2+ months.. Tracking ID doesn't work... Anyone else?

12. YoungTheKing macrumors newbie

13. semitech macrumors newbie

Cheap lightning cable

The best place for cheap lightning cables are at http://semitech.co/ They are very high quality cables, at great prices. Check it out.

14. Irishman macrumors 68030

Ahhhh, SCSI daisy chains.

The good ole days.

15. Irishman macrumors 68030

SCSI was a standard among Mac folk back in the 90's. my Power Mac 8600/250 had a SCSI interface as the ONLY hard drive interface, and the ONLY external drive interface. It was faster than IDE back then, but pricey.

There was no PATA in Macs back then.

16. Irishman macrumors 68030

I know the answer to this:

Micro USB cannot handle charging duties for an iPad. It can't pass the voltage required to do that.

And, on the streaming to a TV part - no, you can't pass content from a USB device to an HDMI port without having some data conversion happening along the way.

17. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I remember that when the lightening adapter was first released they were saying that the cable had a mini computer like electronics in it that could be flashed to make fake adapters no longer work. so you might get an update for your device then suddenly the fake cable will no longer work. so your out the 15-20 dollars or whatever. I wonder if that is still the case.

18. BarryL macrumors 6502

monoprice.com has official supported lighting cables finally.

They start around $11.76 for 3ft, to $12.50 for 6ft.

Not bad.