Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
I know I'll probably be considered very lame, but I have owned a generation 1iPhone (from Sept 07) and a 3G iPhone (since Sept 08), and I have never done a jail break on either. What do you think the percentage of iPhones that have been jailbroken and those that haven't been ? Are you like me and have never done a jail break on your iphone ?

Darthzilla

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2006
I want to jail break my 3G,but im still too nervous lol. All I really want is a video recorder...and I know through Cydia these is a few to choose from...but still im nervous for some reason

As far as I can tell its pretty simple and painless to do, but you have to Jailbreak everytime Apple updates iPod software ?

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
Jailbreaking:

- Crashes & instability
- Malfunctioning & safety
- Invasion of privacy
- Exposing children to age-inappropriate content
- Viruses & malware
- Inability to update software
- Cellular network impact
- Piracy of developers' applications
- Instability of developers' applications
- Increased support burden
- Developer relationships
- The Apple/iPhone brand
- Limitation on ability to innovate

Apple made it clear right here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

If you damage your iPhone, Apple won’t fix it. Some of my friends have damaged their jailed iPhones and gotten full replacements! This is not a possibility for someone with a jailbroken iPhone. Apple will just say, “The reason it’s not working is because you hacked it.” Hacking your iPhone is not sanctioned by Apple, so whatever you do is at your own risk.

A majority of the iPhone apps on installer are absolute pointless. Also, people make a lot of apps just to prove the point that it is possible, but actually do nothing helpful for the user. I have two examples. I downloaded this one apps called cowbell… You tap on it and it makes a cowbell noise, this is self explanatory. There is also an app that lets your record videos, but only 5 seconds long. Then, the only way to get it onto your computer it to SSH into your iPhone. Trust me there are a lot more apps that do nothing helpful than apps that cool or help you get things done.

You love your iPhone and it already does everything you want it to. You just have to live for 4 months, knowing it can do so much more. It’s a great iPod, a great phone and a great internet communicator. Why should you jeopardize that?

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
The only point to jailbreaking is tethering and using apps over 3g that AT&T won't allow (Slingbox, Skype, etc). If you're into changing your icons I'd recommend against it.

As for saying that Apple won't fix it I can't say. I've heard stories of them fixing it but not fixing jailbreaks is their official policy. It shouldn't be too hard to fix. All you have to do is a typical restore. I've never heard of anybody permanantly breaking their phone.

chattt22

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
I want to jail break my 3G,but im still too nervous lol. All I really want is a video recorder...and I know through Cydia these is a few to choose from...but still im nervous for some reason

As far as I can tell its pretty simple and painless to do, but you have to Jailbreak everytime Apple updates iPod software ?

I was all about it, until I did it. My phone was running extremely slow. Then I uninstalled, and it still seems to be lagging. The only cool thing that I liked was the video. Now that there is a 3gs, I wouldnt do it.

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
A majority of the iPhone apps on installer are absolute pointless. Also, people make a lot of apps just to prove the point that it is possible, but actually do nothing helpful for the user. I have two examples. I downloaded this one apps called cowbell… You tap on it and it makes a cowbell noise, this is self explanatory. There is also an app that lets your record videos, but only 5 seconds long. Then, the only way to get it onto your computer it to SSH into your iPhone. Trust me there are a lot more apps that do nothing helpful than apps that cool or help you get things done.

because you download pointless apps doesnt mean everything is pointless in cydia/etc. in fact there are many helpful apps that helps the user itself.backgrounder, kirake, sbsettings, and categories are the reasons i JB. my phone is a lot more effective with these JB apps than your phone will be.

i am able to run more than 1 app at once, have a task manager, swipe on statusbar to get to settings without exiting my app, and organizing my apps in folders without having 11 pages to look for 1 app.

you can talk down as much as you want about JB, but your phone wont ever be as useful as mine.

EDIT: just because im JB doesnt mean i pirate software/apps. i support any app developers. i have purchased all my non-free apps. have receipts to prove if you think all JBers are bad.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have never done it, I'm not afraid of it, but I'm considering it. I need tethering and I can't get it without getting reamed by AT&T. :(

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I'm considering it. Not for tethering, which I got without Jailbreaking by simply changing the carrier profile file, but for unlocking so I can use a different carrier. The other factor swaying me is the ability to organise everything into folders. I soooo miss that function from my Symbian days.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
best things about jailbreak for my 3g

rotation inhibitor + sbsettings. toggle rotation at any time you want and it effects all apps. the most useful thing ever. can't believe apple doesn't have some rotation toggle built in as i cant imagine i am the only one who gets extremely irritated when the screen rotates when i dont intend it to.

the ability to use programs like iphonebrowser so i can actually use my iphone as a thumb drive via usb without some lame and feature limited appstore app to simulate a fake one.

adblock for mobile safari. self explanatory.

i don't do any silly theming nonsense.

saldawop

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2007
The first thing I have done with all my iPhones when I get them home from the store is to Jailbreak them.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Jailbreaking:

- Crashes & instability
- Invasion of privacy
- Viruses & malware
- The Apple/iPhone brand

Wow those are some total bold face Lies have you even jail break?

on the record I have never had those problems Jail breaking is good for many reasons

doesnt harm your phone if you run into anything you can always restore and go back to your normal setings but look at whats good for Jail Breaking.

A alternative for Devs who get there apps denied for some stupid crap Look at apps like Google Voice southpark Mobile "and now there are several family guy and southpark apps in the app store"

add ons to help make apps better and also some stuff that should be on a phone right awway either cause apple hasnt done it yet or att is being stuborn trust me Jailbreaking helps out alot

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Jailbreaking:

- Crashes & instability
- Invasion of privacy
- Viruses & malware
- The Apple/iPhone brand

If you damage your iPhone, Apple won’t fix it. Some of my friends have damaged their jailed iPhones and gotten full replacements! This is not a possibility for someone with a jailbroken iPhone. Apple will just say, “The reason it’s not working is because you hacked it.” Hacking your iPhone is not sanctioned by Apple, so whatever you do is at your own risk.

You love your iPhone and it already does everything you want it to. You just have to live for 4 months, knowing it can do so much more. It’s a great iPod, a great phone and a great internet communicator. Why should you jeopardize that?

HAHAHAHA...sorry that made me laugh.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Jailbreaking:

- Crashes & instability
- Invasion of privacy
- Viruses & malware
- The Apple/iPhone brand

.. + Rest of Post ..

I've been jailbreaking since the 1st gen when you had to manually upload and set the icon for each app when changing themes and you are totally incorrect.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
HAHAHAHA...sorry that made me laugh.

Me too. I've jailbroken every iphone and had no problems. I've brought iphones that had been jailbroken to the Apple Store and never had any issues. Jailbreaking allows you to do what you want with your iphone not what Apple says you're allowed to do. Too many people think jailbreaking=piracy or jailbreaking=illegal just because Apple says it is. If jailbreaking was illegal then the iphone hacks forum here wouldn't exist.

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Me too. I've jailbroken every iphone and had no problems. I've brought iphones that had been jailbroken to the Apple Store and never had any issues. Jailbreaking allows you to do what you want with your iphone not what Apple says you're allowed to do. Too many people think jailbreaking=piracy or jailbreaking=illegal just because Apple says it is. If jailbreaking was illegal then the iphone hacks forum here wouldn't exist.

thats exactly what i posted in another thread to the same user "PIKA" as he stated jailbreaking = pirating.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Jailbreaking:

- Crashes & instability
- Invasion of privacy
- Viruses & malware
- The Apple/iPhone brand

Oh really? I haven't had any of the issues that you mentioned. Plus, check out my featured jailbroken apps and I dare you to say they are "absolute pointless":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruRh3RKtl0g

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
thats exactly what i posted in another thread to the same user "PIKA" as he stated jailbreaking = pirating.

Jailbreaking isn't for everyone and that's fine you're free to do what you want with your iphone but when someone flat out lies like this guy is doing that's what I have a problem with.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
He is full of it...Exposing children to age inappropriate content? WTF? Where did this come from? Anyway...I have been jailbreaking since the 2G when the first jailbreak was released and havn't stopped since. I currently am on a 3GS and have not upgraded to 3.1 to stay jailbroken. If it wasn't for the jailbreak I don't know that I would still be with an iphone. Must have (for me at least) backgrounder and with the release of Kirikae it makes it just much better. I use Winterboard for themeing, I am teathering, and I don't see any loss of speed on my 3GS. Viruses & malware...where did this person get this list from...

ValentineNicole

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
Haha, I personally don't jailbreak - for three reasons:

1) I've broken my iPhone. More than once. If I jailbreak my iPhone, they won't replace it. As of now, they've replaced it instantly both times I've had issues (one, I kept getting a white screen of death. two, the ringer switch broke)

2) I like AT&T. Maybe it really is awful, but I really have never had an issue.

3) I like being legit. I don't want or need "free apps" and "cool screen backgrounds."

That said, NO ONE is going to jail for jailbreaking. NO ONE. I don't care if you walk in the Apple store and tell them your phone is jailbroken - it's just not going to happen, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.