Unopened '07 MBP 2.2 at University Bookstore ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joeybagadonutz, Jan 15, 2009.

1. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

My wife is going back for another degree so I called the bookstore and found a '07 2.2 MBP for $1100 + taxes. My wife has to use her work PC laptop. I have a six month old White Macbook 2.4 that it is fine for my needs, but would sell to fund the upgrade. The LED matte screen and dedicated graphics are the reason for this consideration.

I may loose a little money on the move, but I have a unwanted/unopened Office '08 to add. The graphics card is somewhat small but better than the MB. The 8600M GT problems are a known issue. It actually has Tiger, but we plan on buying Snow Leopard family pack upgrade (also have 20" iMac at home)

I'm just trying to do a cheap trade up. Any other thoughts pro/con are appreciated. Thank you

2. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

$1100 USD? In my opinion, that's a bit much for a 2007 15 incher. MAYBE I'd do it for a 2007 17 inch screen.

I was able to get a brand new early 2008 15" 2.4 MBP for $1199 CAD (Canadian) when the unibodys first came out.

Maybe you'll be able to bargain your way down to a lower price...b/c really...if they haven't been able to clear 2007 stock by now, they'll probably be wanting to get rid of it pretty badly.

3. joeybagadonutz thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, that is a good idea. Perhaps I should ask for a free Applecare. I know they have two or three 2.2 units. I saw reports of the 2.4s at $1099 at other universities when the unibodies were released.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It's hardly worth that. Additionally, considering it's from 2007, if your school isn't an Authorized Reseller, it may not be eligible for Apple Care.

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

There are previous gen MBPs and current gen MBPs in the Apple Clearance Store if you are so inclined.

6. zevot macrumors member

yes exactly i have seen great offers in the store a few days ago good luck mate :)

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I recently sold my used v 2,2 MBP that I bought in March 2007 for $1150. Used it for 1.5 yrs even. So as long as it has one year Apple warranty, I think it's a good deal. Refurbished same models go for $1299 in Apple Store online.

I really loved mine. I guess mine was 2.33 with 256 MB graphics that originally cost $2499. So if has 256 MB graphics ATI it originally cost $2499. If only has 128 MB ATI it only cost $1999 new. One last measure to determine value anyways.

Good luck with it.