Unpartitioned HDD, can't revert to normal size!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by A Macbook Pro, Aug 31, 2009.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Well, I deleted my Leopard partition using Disk Utility, but now my SL partition did not take up the space left by the Leopard partition. How do I make it take up the whole HDD?

2. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Still need help! C'mon guys, it would really be appreciated :D

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A couple of basic questions to level set everything.

1. Did you boot off the SL disk?
    2. With the disk utility did you repartition the drive making sure you select the partition type of GUID? (the type is in the options button)

SL should be able to use the space once you partition and/or formatted the space.

4. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

1. No, when I deleted the partition I was in SL disk utility.
    2. No, I just clicked on my Leopard partition then clicked the ''-''. It deleted that partition and that's all I did.

5. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I did this a few hours ago, once you delete the old partition you need to drag the "Macintosh HD" down to cover the old partition space, you should see a little drag thing on the bottom right partition box then click apply. Hope that makes sense!

6. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Heres a picture, I hope this can help. If I do have to format my whole HDD, I guess I'll wait since I'm getting an external soon to backup all my data. Then I'll get it back to 1. But if it can't be fixed for now, I'll be happy with 300GB...

Attached Files:

7. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Can you drag the SL partition into the unpartitioned space above?

Then re-size the partition to fill the empty space below (use the dragger highlighted below):

Attached Files:

8. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea, but it won't let me drag it to the above empty partition. But I might try doing the same while booting from my OS X SL dvd, maybe that would work.

9. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried with the SL DVD, no luck. Can't believe I've wasted my whole day trying to get SL all fixed the way it was with Leopard.

10. borcanm macrumors regular

Try to make another partition in the above empty partition. Then use the slider between the two partitions to increase the size of your SL partition.

11. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Won't work.

12. JGruber macrumors 6502

Boot into the SL DVD. Once there open Disk Utility and click on the HDD, then on 'Partition'.

Change Volume Scheme to '1 Partition'.
    Under Volume Information, give the HDD a name, pick the format for the file system, and click on Apply.

This will erase your ENTIRE HDD, and create 1 giant partition, to which you can install SL on.

13. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Create a new partition on the space above - clone (bootable) the current install on to the new partition. Boot into the new partition, delete the other, expand the top one. This way you can keep the current setup.

(External bootable clone would be even better).