Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanzjoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
I bought my mbp 2010 at the end of last year. I had to go to apple store again and again to get it fixed. Here are the parts that have been replaced:

power adapter (couldn't charge)
mother board (couldn't turn it on)
screen (air bubbles on it)

I think I got a defective product. I spent a lot of time at the genius bar and could not use the machine for over two weeks which caused a lot of inconveniences. I am worried this will happen again and again.

I called the customer service and asked if I can get a replacement without a success. What can I do? :(

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
next time you take it in for problems tell them you have had x, y, and z go wrong in the past 4 months and now this and that you want a replacement machine.

Not guaranteed to work, but it might. Pretty sure the same part has to fail multiple times for them to "have" to give you a replacement.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
so they've fixed all the problems you've had and you still want a replacement? If the computer is working fine at the moment then your fear that one day it may break isn't enough to warrant a replacement. If you experience another significant failure before your warranty runs out then you may have a case for a replacement but as it stands you've got a repaired and working machine so just relax.

tanzjoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks xxBURT0Nxx. I think I should have mentioned the motherboard failure and asked for a replacement before they fixed the screen issue.

Last edited:

tanzjoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
so they've fixed all the problems you've had and you still want a replacement? If the computer is working fine at the moment then your fear that one day it may break isn't enough to warrant a replacement. If you experience another significant failure before your warranty runs out then you may have a case for a replacement but as it stands you've got a repaired and working machine so just relax.

Thanks for your comfort, Blipp. Because I spent over $2200 on it, I did not expect it would cause so many troubles. My other cheap laptops wok without any problem. Every time before I brought it in apple store I had to backup my files and wait for one week before using it again.

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
I believe it is a bit defective like you have speculated - it's certainly not the model.

Are they replacing these parts and such under warranty, at least?

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks for your comfort, Blipp. Because I spent over $2200 on it, I did not expect it would cause so many troubles. My other cheap laptops wok without any problem. Every time before I brought it in apple store I had to backup my files and wait for one week before using it again.

I understand your frustration but if they've already replaced your logic board then they essentially already have given you a new laptop it's just in the same body. Until this logic board fails and fulfills the pattern there's no reason to assume you're going to continue to have issues. Also I wouldn't count a replaced power cable as a supporting factor in this laptop being a lemon as it's an entirely different piece of hardware.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I believe it is a bit defective like you have speculated - it's certainly not the model.

Are they replacing these parts and such under warranty, at least?
uhh.. he said he bought it at the end of last year, you get apple care free for a year, why would he be paying for repairs out of pocket?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.