Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight into this problem...

I have a g5 with gigabit ethernet and just the otherday my friend accidently unplugged the network cable while it was still on. Since then, the internet has been going incredibly slow. Does this mean that my card got fried somehow? Id it possible that the rest of the system was damaged in some way? Any light that could be shed onto this dilema would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

-mike

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I assume you are referring to the network cable. Unplugging it while the computer is on is no big deal and won't hurt/fry anything in anyway. Its probably just a strange coincidence.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Celeron said:
I assume you are referring to the network cable. Unplugging it while the computer is on is no big deal and won't hurt/fry anything in anyway. Its probably just a strange coincidence.

i agree. ethernet is hot-swappable, the only problem unplugging it should cause is corrupting any files in transfer... the OS shouldn't freak out. Perhaps some third-party software on your machine freaked out tho, i'd try all the usual fixes. and it could just be a coincidence.

paul

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
if you have a router/switch power cycle it. i.e. turn it off for long enough for all the computers to disconnect then plug it back in.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Have you restarted since unplugging the cable? I always have problems (erratic behavior, kernel panics) when I unplug ethernet.

Asmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Everything seems to be working fine again. Apparently it was just me that was freaking out :p

-mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.