Unplugged Right Fan, bad idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nomar383, Feb 29, 2008.

1. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

So I just got my MBP off of ebay and to my dismay the right fan on it is noisy as hell. I mean, BROKEN noisy, not just me being picky noisy. I decided the best way to eliminate the noise was going to be to unplug the fan from the logicboard. Is unplugging one of the fans a bad idea for normal use? I mean, i bought a cooling pad for when I play games, but is that enough? Will I melt my laptop soon? I need help from the pros!

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would look to replace it. Replacement parts for a fan cannot be overly expensive.

3. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Yea, I wouldn't recommend using it for long periods of time without the functionality of that fan. Its there for a reason. It provides circulation not only on that spot but also throughout the laptop. Get it replaced, if you can open it up then it won't be that hard to replace the fan. The price shouldn't be too much.

-JoE

4. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

I looked into it and it seems like a really easy thing to fix actually, the fan is like 50 bucks and its a 15 min installation. Do you think it could be anything else though? I mean, could this be a logic board problem? I just don't want to pay 50 bucks for a new fan and find out it makes the same noise. FYI it sounds like a pencil in a bike's spokes, but worse. As soon as I unplugged it, the sound vanished, so I know it at least has something to do with the fan...

5. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Hmm.. I would definately say its the fan. Is there anyway to turn on the computer while looking at the fan. It sounds like something is obstructing it slightly. Perhaps maybe there is a piece of debris in there.

-JoE

6. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

I'll open her up again and take a look, but I don't think so. Do fans just start to break after a while? I don't understand why, they have very few parts. Do they have some sort of chip on them that could malfunction and make it spin up too much?

7. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

I disassembled the fan, cleaned it, put it back in, and started her up (half open to see the fan).

RESULTS:

1. I could see the fan spinning up differently than the left one right away.

2. Even just typing this message it is whining, I fear running a game or anything too processor intensive because I know it will probably explode and kill half a block of people.

3. I am almost 100% positive that there is nothing obstructing it.

So, is my fan busted? Definetly? I want to make sure that it couldn't be anything else, any tips?

8. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

I just ordered the fan from ifixit.com for $50 and I'll post on how it works out in a week or so. Wish me luck!

9. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Good luck. I hope new fan will take care of your problems. Let us know how it goes.

-JoE

10. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

In the meantime, can I still use this thing? Does anyone think internet browsing and light stuff (even if for long periods of time) are going to ruin it? Thanks for the input

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I would keep all the packaging for the fan you just ordered in case you need to return it. In regards to using your machine, I think you're fine as long as the fan area has ample room to release heat and you're not doing anything resource intensive.

12. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

btw, does anyone else notice a particularly annoying processor whine only when unplugged and on batteries? I'm hoping I'm not the only one with these problems lol

13. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I got a new Penryn MBP last week, noticed last night while using it that the right fan is becoming noisy... making a buzzing sound when the computer is on. And when the fan speeds up, the buzzing sound gets louder.

Going to head over to Apple store later and see if I can get an exchange on the laptop since its only been 6 days since I bought it.

When on battery its the same noise, nothing different... no processor whine.

14. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Well ifixit.com (highly recommended btw) got me my new fan in under 72 hours. As soon as I got the new fan in, the sound has disappeared! Thanks for your help guys!

15. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

it was probably the bearings (or whatever it runs on). glad to hear the new one is working well.