unplugging Airport Express frequently

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by muzzyology, Dec 1, 2007.

1. muzzyology macrumors newbie

I use the Express to listen to audio in the kitchen.
    Is there any real downside to unplugging and plugging it once or twice a day?
    Does the Express use a lot of energy?
    Someone else already asked, but the replier didn't seem certain if it really adds a lot of wear and tear.
    Any ideas?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

The Express don't use much energy. Numbers from my kitchen -
    Speakers+Express: 11-13W
    Speakers only: 9-11W

I probably have pretty much the same setup as you in my kitchen, except that i have both my powered speakers and the Express connected to a single switch which i use to cut the power to both. No problems so far, and can't really believe that it will shorten the lifespan noticeably.

3. muzzyology thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i think i'll try your set up with a single switch (little more elegant than unplugging/plugging all the time) Otherwise i'm really enjoying the Express, especially together with Airfoil (if anyone is interested in getting Airfoil, you can get it for 20 instead of 25$ today.
    http://www.macsantadeals.com/Airfoil isn't listed as an option for the rebate today, but i tried entering the code at rogue amoeba's site and it worked anyway

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I find my airport takes ages to reconnect everytime I unplug it. Half the time I have to reset it. Is it just me, or is it normal for it to take so long? About 15 minutes. Sorry to hijack!

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Mine reconnects quite a bit quicker. Not sure how long it takes, but worst case should be under 30 seconds.

I run my Expresses in WDS mode (earlier with one of the Expresses as master, now with a Gigabit Extreme). What's your setup?

6. muzzyology thread starter macrumors newbie

no problem. 15 minutes seems awfully long, just checked and it took less than 30 sec. and i've never had to reset it (i've only had it for a week though)

7. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Must be something on my network. nevermind, i never unplug it anyway, and its well out of warranty. Over a year old at least.

8. skuzzy macrumors member

No, unplugging it and plugging it in again will do nothing to affect its operation in any way shape and/or form.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I unplug mine every night along with my dsl modem. My concern is that it gets so darned hot and especially in the summer, the last thing I need in the those is something generating more heat.

I've been doing it for more than a year and no problems whatsoever. It's two years old and going strong.

It only takes mine about 1.5 minutes to boot up

10. muzzyology thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers, good to know