Unplugging the iPhone/technology

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Archman!, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Archman! macrumors member

After 2.5 years of using my iPhone I am calling it quits. I went out and bought a simple LG flip phone with no camera, email, GPS, texting (I had it blocked), apps, and internet. Initially, it was a cost savings thing but I feel it has become more of a getting back in touch with people thing.

Anyone else feel as though we are becoming less and less proficent in face to face conversations? With all the ways we can communicate digitally, email, text, facebook, twitter, etc it seems as though we loosing touch in how to communicate face to face and carry on real meaningful conversations. I know this is somewhat hippocritical as I write this in a forum but there has to be a line drawn somewhere right?

2. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to find everyone in these forums and let them know face-to-face that you are no longer using an iPhone.;)

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

While sometimes I feel like doing the same, I've decided that the greatest net positive would not come from stopping altogether but instead from 1) keeping my phone in my pocket more. I'd rather talk to the people around me than immediately whip out my phone to play a game, 2) taking backpacking trips beyond the reach of cell service with a few friends. Nothing to do but eat, drink, talk and walk. It's always extremely refreshing, and kind of 'resets' that little voice that tells me to throw away my iPhone and delete my email account. :p

5. Archman! thread starter macrumors member

Great advice. When I would be out of cell range or the battery died I felt strangely different and was more likely to strike up a conversation with random people...