Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacl87

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
So I keep getting these CRC errors when unzipping files. It only ever has "total errors: 1".
I've looked pretty extensively for a program to fix this error but can only find windows compatible ones. Is there a specific one to repair these errors on mac or not so much?
What are these errors usually anyway?
Cheers

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
A CRC error is a sign of a corrupt archive. CRC stands for "Cyclic Redundancy Check" and is a means of verifying the integrity of an archive. For RAR archives, if redundancy records were included, it is sometimes possible to work around the error. Most of the time, this error isn't really fixable except by trying again (if you downloaded the archive from the Internet somewhere).

zacl87

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
if redundancy records were included, it is sometimes possible to work around the error.

How do you do that? I can access a lot of the zip contents, it has smalled zipped files within the large downloaded file - which i've tried a few times with the same result.

I just use unRAR or whatever the standard mac unzipping agent is. Is it worth trying other ones to see if they work or is it all the same?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
How do you do that? I can access a lot of the zip contents, it has smalled zipped files within the large downloaded file - which i've tried a few times with the same result.

I just use unRAR or whatever the standard mac unzipping agent is. Is it worth trying other ones to see if they work or is it all the same?
The archive program should do this automatically, if it can. Check your unarchiver's preferences. If that doesn't work, go grab The Unarchiver and give that a try. I've had success with that program where all other attempts at opening an archive have failed.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If....

The archive program should do this automatically, if it can. Check your unarchiver's preferences. If that doesn't work, go grab The Unarchiver and give that a try. I've had success with that program where all other attempts at opening an archive have failed.

the Unarchiver does not work, maybe only option is re-downloading the file or files in question. Seems to me as a corrupted RAR....:(

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.