Unreachable Server behind Apple Aiport

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by matthewamzn, Dec 18, 2007.

1. matthewamzn macrumors member

As of Sunday, I can't access my remote server from behind my home Apple Aiport Extreme router.

My web hosting company says they didn't change anything, and my isp says it's not them... so that leaves the router. If I remove the router, I can get to the server.

Any idea of what could be causing the problem?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

3. matthewamzn thread starter macrumors member

My server hosting company says that my router is blocking the server's ip address. Is this configured somewhere in Airport? It's never blocked anything before.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Don't ask me the specifics of how to configure it, but you'll have to setup Port Mapping in the Airport Utility (Advanced -> Port Mapping) to direct your IP to the server on the correct port. I would assume port 80 for web serving, but you'll have to figure that one out yourself. That's the missing setting, however.

jW

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Guys this is an outbound connection. Port forwarding is for inbound.

I'd suggest you reset your Airport to defaults to see if problem persists.

OP, how are you trying to access this remote server? http? ssh? telnet? ftp? Can you ping the server? Are you accessing by domain name or IP?

6. matthewamzn thread starter macrumors member

I tried accessing the server with http, ssh and ftp. It stops at the fourth hop when I ping it (using ip and domain names).

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Sounds like something is blocking the route :confused: or is the 4th hop the IP of your server? Did you reset your router to see if that helped?

8. matthewamzn thread starter macrumors member

The fourth hop was right after shaw cable. I just tried resetting my router and that did fix it. Somehow it also fixed it at work (where I didn't do anything). Maybe it triggered something with shaw. :confused:

It's all working good now though.