Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Was wondering if there was an easier way of searching for new replies in threads you have posted in, rather than doing a new posts search and looking for the little icon...

...or clicking on your profile and checking your posts, and then individually seeing if those threads had been added to.

It would be very handy if there was an easier way that I don't know about.

Thanks. :)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Was wondering if there was an easier way of searching for new replies in threads you have posted in, rather than doing a new posts search and looking for the little icon...

...or clicking on your profile and checking your posts, and then individually seeing if those threads had been added to.

It would be very handy if there was an easier way that I don't know about.

Thanks. :)

Search - Advanced Search - Search by User Name... does that count?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Search - Advanced Search - Search by User Name... does that count?

Not quite, because it throws up every thread I've posted in, regardless of whether they have replies in them or not. Close, though. :)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Not quite, because it throws up every thread I've posted in, regardless of whether they have replies in them or not. Close, though. :)

well, actually if you check often, the top few (ones that show ppl have recently posted, aka the bold ones) are ones that has replies... just ignore the rest.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
If you have yourself set up to autosubscribe on posting, Quick Links->Subscribed Threads works pretty well.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
My "User CP" shows only my subscribed threads with new posts since I last logged in.
Works great for me.

L

Lau

I'd like to know this too. Another forum that I (very rarely) frequent has a link at the top that says "Show new replies to my posts" and it goes to the first new post in each thread I've posted in. It rocks my socks. I don't think it uses vBulletin though.

I might have to try the auto subscribe thing, I think.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I might have to try the auto subscribe thing, I think.

Except that some of us are so undiscriminating and prolific about their posting habits, that unsubscribing from them would be a complete pain. ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I must admit, that had occurred to me too. :p
It takes one five-minute session every few months to clear out the old subscriptions. They're all sorted by last post date, so it's easy to jump to the last page, select all, delete, until the number is down to the non-scary level again.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Code:
https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?do=process&starteronly=0&searchuser=Mitthrawnuruodo

Then just change your user name, like this (I think you need to substitute blanks with %20):

Code:
https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?do=process&starteronly=0&searchuser=Blue%20Velvet

and save that link as a bookmark... :)

[Removed because of my utter stupidity :eek:]

L

Lau

...and save that link as a bookmark... :)

That's brilliant!

Unfortunately, it only seems to work if you have an unique username like your good self, Mitthrawnuruodo.

picture12yj.png

:D

I imagine it would work for most though.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Never thought of that... :eek:

Try:

Code:
https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?do=process&starteronly=0&searchuser=Lau&exactname=1

That's a nice helper. Thank you. But I agree with others that a function that actually showed the posts that reply to you or quote you would be VERY helpful. It's like the first thing you do when you login: go see if you've been replied to or quoted in some post so you can add more info if needed, etc.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I have MR set to email me replies to my posts.

The reply is quoted in the email.

If I ignore the email (i.e. I don't go to the thread) then it doesn't email me any more updates on that thread. (so I don't get 5000 emails if I post on the 'post your set up' thread)

Works fine most of the time. Sometimes (rarely) it carries on emailing me replies to a lengthy thread, but there's an 'unsubscribe from this thread' linky in the email which has sorted it out every time.

This seems to be what Blue Velvet wanted neh?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004

Neh. At a long-term average of 11 posts per day, often higher, the last thing I want is Mail clogging up with emails telling me someone's posted. I do use email notification for PMs, though.

Some threads — no names mentioned — can be fairly spammy, so it's not crucial to keep up with all replies.

Mitty's :)D) suggestion works perfectly; you can see them all laid out in front of you, and pick and choose the ones you want to read.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I have MR set to email me replies to my posts.

The reply is quoted in the email.

If I ignore the email (i.e. I don't go to the thread) then it doesn't email me any more updates on that thread. (so I don't get 5000 emails if I post on the 'post your set up' thread)

Works fine most of the time. Sometimes (rarely) it carries on emailing me replies to a lengthy thread, but there's an 'unsubscribe from this thread' linky in the email which has sorted it out every time.

Problem with that approach is if you actually use the thread subscription system for, well, subscribing to a number of selected threads... if you don't, then it should be fine... :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Neh. At a long-term average of 11 posts per day, often higher, the last thing I want is Mail clogging up with emails telling me someone's posted. I do use email notification for PMs, though.

Some threads — no names mentioned — can be fairly spammy, so it's not crucial to keep up with all replies.

Fine, glad you found a solution.

Tho like I said if you don't revisit a thread, it won't send you any more mails about that thread. You could also set your mail filters to shunt all MR thread notifications into its own folder - avoid clogging up your inbox.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Fine, glad you found a solution.

Tho like I said if you don't revisit a thread, it won't send you any more mails about that thread. You could also set your mail filters to shunt all MR thread notifications into its own folder - avoid clogging up your inbox.

But in this case you might miss an interesting post/conversation. I think the idea of a page that displays all your posts (like DPreview.com) is the best solution

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Tho like I said if you don't revisit a thread, it won't send you any more mails about that thread.
I thought this worked across all threads, not for each thread individually.

For example, if you get email about Thread1 and email about Thread2, you won't get further email about either one until you visit the forums. But once you display Thread1 (or any other thread, for that matter), don't you start getting email for both Thread1 and Thread2 again?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Doggone it Q, now you've gorn and confuzeded me.

I'm pretty sure it's on a thread by thread basis.

Here's the text of the email I got about your post - I can see now how it could be seen in different ways. It's not very clear.

Dear RedTomato,

Doctor Q has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Unread replies - in the Site and Forum Feedback forum of Mac Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/272048/

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by RedTomato)---
Tho like I said if you don't revisit a thread, it won't send you any more mails about that thread.
---End Quote---
I thought this worked across all threads, not for each thread individually.

For example, if you get email about Thread1 and email about Thread2, you won't get further email about either one until you visit the forums. But once you display Thread1 (or any other thread, for that matter), don't you start getting email for both Thread1 and Thread2 again?

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Mac Forums

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
https://forums.macrumors.com/subscr...thread&subscriptionid=597723&auth=9865652f939

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
https://forums.macrumors.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.