Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Hi All. Just installed Unreal is OS9 on my G4 and it looks absolutely like crap. Runs smooth but is pixelated beyond belief. Does this have to do with my ATI card. Almost wondering if I should swap it out for a Geforce card or would that be even better. I thought the 8500 was a great card for OS9. Any suggestions?

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Like Intell mentioned---resolution or perhaps 'colors' setting. I'd play around with either your computer's settings or the game's settings.

Also, when you say it looks bad, does it look like there is a lot of noise and distortion on the screen? You know---the way it looks when you set 'colors' to 256.

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Well after an hour of searching I found two update patches for the game.
installed them and the game looks pic perfect now.
This is the unreal I remember now. Evidently there was a radeon fix with that last update.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Last two patches? You mean 224b1 and it's update 224b7? Been a while since I was hot on this subject. Yes I seem to recall they fixed issues with ATi cards in 224. Shame they never bothered to go beyond 224. Think Westlake (the porters) made some excuse or other about not having the source code from Epic or whatever but meh.

I remember I loved Unreal but I could only play it at the time on my G3 iMac which had a Rage 128Pro or something along those lines. Also happens to be one of the few ATi cards 224 didn't fix. Causes the lighting to be completely screwed and everything looks black or just really dark. The only way to fix it is to play in software rendered mode which looks pants.

In the end I just consigned it to "never getting fixed" pile and bought a used copy of Unreal for the PC. Never looked back, especially with the OldUnreal patches now. Talking of which, the guy that operates OldUnreal made an OS X port of his patch, but wouldn't you know... Epic denied him permission to release it. No idea why. Still that's just one issue of many to do with Unreal and Unreal Tournament on the Mac. Like Ryan Gordon giving up on on the patch 451 port for OS X because the renderer sucks balls so hard it needed rebuilding from the ground up, and the fact UT3 never saw the light of day on OS X even though it was pretty much finished and ready to be released.

Ah well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.