Unreal CPU temps when watching video...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dsilva2, May 22, 2008.

1. dsilva2 macrumors newbie

I have a new BlackBook and have been running into very high temps while trying to watch TV shows off of ABC and Fox. My usual CPU temp is around 47*c but when I start streaming the shows it shoot up to nearly 77*c and today even got up around 87*c and the fan goes crazy as well. Is this just because of the CPU working so hard to process the video, and is there anyway to stop it or is it even safe at those temps? Thanks!

2. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

That wouldn't do anything. The fans should automatically max out at 6200rpm by themselves

3. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

While it shouldn't be too much of a cause for concern, it's definitely an annoyance. The CPU should start throttling at a certain temperature to protect it from thermal run away which will damage the CPU.

One thing you can do is set it on a flat, room temperature surface (i.e. not your lap) or a laptop pad/stand (fans or no fans).

4. watermelon macrumors regular

Well if the fans were maxing out at 6200rpm, then this person wouldn't have such a hot cpu now would he

5. asme macrumors regular

No, he would. Stop being smarmy.

I ran my Macbook doing video conversion for eight hours while maxing the fan and it was at a constant 84ºC

6. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

yep mine gets to 90c at full blast i will be going to applestore soon to sort out this b.s

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Do abc and FOX use Flash for their online sites (I can't check because I live in the UK)?

If so, that'll be why the heat goes up.

Flash is poorly optimised for Mac OS X so the computer will get hotter.

8. chscag macrumors 65816

Streaming video will cause the CPU to work harder than it normally would during - say, watching a DVD movie. Remember, it not only has to stream and buffer at the same time but it also has to use the hard drive. All that action adds up to more work which equals more heat which causes the thermal controls to make the fan spin at higher RPMs. The higher the RPM of the fan, the noisier it gets. :eek:

I use a small notebook stand to elevate the rear of my MacBook from the surface of my desk and, I keep the clam shell open even when using my external monitor. That helps to keep temps down somewhat. I've seen notebook stands that provide cooling (they use a USB port to power several small fans built into the stand) but they're a bit too noisy for my liking.

I wouldn't worry too much about the higher than normal temps, the built in thermal controls will shut the machine down quickly if there is a danger of harming the CPU or other components.

Regards.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yeah watching youtube videos heats my macbook up to 75c+, bastard Adobe.

10. watermelon macrumors regular

smarmy?

and fan control would help since it maxes the fans at startup so that when he begins watching the youtube video, the cpu won't be as hot as it would be if the fans weren't maxed out.