Unreal Engine 4 Development on MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I wanted to pass along my experience with UE4 on my late 2013 MBPr:

I downloaded UE4 for a non-gaming project that would require 3D interaction and modeling. I have been very impressed with UE4 on my MBPr! Having used the previous versions on Windows and now working under OS X has been excellent.

I was worried how it would perform under OS X vs Windows. Epic Games has done some great work with Windows but I didn't know if the OS X version would be equal to Windows or a lesser port (think Mac Office).

So far, I have seen nothing that gives me the impression that the OS X version is any less feature rich than the Windows counterpart.

UE4 is $19 a month but you can pay one month, download everything and then cancel. You will not get any further updates but you won't loose your current developer environment. I was skeptical of UE4 for our project as we use other tools. I was just going to pay the $19 once and then cancel so we could evaluate its potential for our needs. However, it is truly remarkable and I think we might move to it right away.

It is a great tool for all kinds of media and I'm looking forward to the games people will put out for OS X.

I think it is well worth $19 to just try it out. Like I said, you can cancel right away.

If you do download do not forget the free add-ons in the marketplace. They are excellent!

-P

2. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Your post is more like an advert.

Why did you think a quad core 2.6ghz processor with 16gb ram wouldn't be any good for UE4 - what specifications does/should it use?