Unrecognized devices after fresh boot camp install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Oats, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Oats macrumors regular

I've got unrecognized devices after fresh boot camp install. I have a brand new Macbook Pro 13", obviously using snow leopard, 10.6. After running the Win XP SP2 install, several reboots, I also downloaded and installed the Boot Camp 3.1 and 3.2 software updates.

There are several devices which show as unrecognized, using default drivers and not the proper ones. The most significant problem I have is that the Display driver is one of them. So graphics is VERY slow and limited.

[​IMG]

I have tried to update the drivers automatically, but I get an error that the wizard cannot find the necessary software. I don't know where to point it to update the drivers. Help please?

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

The drivers are on one of your installation discs or available from Apple for a free download.

3. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

i should have been clear -- i already used my OS X install disk to install the drivers. i then also updated the boot camp drivers to version 3.1 and 3.2. still, several of my devices are not recognized, most significantly the display driver, the NVIDIA 320M.

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Have you tried downloading the latest driver for your GPU from NVIDIA?

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Give Windows Update a try by running the Custom update. You might be able to get some of the drivers that you need from there.

6. Simmity macrumors newbie

Simmity

try to manually install some of the drivers by inserting the osx install disc and browse for the required drivers.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I know this may sound strange, but there was a previous thread where the Mac had come with the wrong grey install disc for the hardware. For a new 2010 box, only the disc that is meant for it will work fully, so you may want to check with Apple if you have the right disc.

B

8. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

nvidia chipset drivers (HD audio devices, SMBus and coprocessor entries) and nvidia display drivers

if it follows same directory structure as the MBA then the chipset drivers would be in

Windows Support/Boot Camp/Drivers/NVidia/NVidiaChipset32

and the 32bit display drivers are just off the NVidia directory, you might find that the display doesnt get enumerated properly to alow driver installation untill the chipset drivers are installed.

9. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, this was great advice -- the latest driver from NVIDIA installed fine, and GPU is recognized. That cleared up several of the items on my list. Now I only have a couple unrecognized devices left.

That is a good observation -- I actually used a Snow Leopard install disc that I had, not the gray disc that came with my computer. Maybe that is my problem.

10. sohh macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem, what`s the solution?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

1. Are you using the grey OS X install disc that came with your system?
    2. Are you sure that the grey install disc that came with your system is the right one for your Mac?

B

12. sohh, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

sohh macrumors newbie

that's the bigest problem, o lost the cds, is there any way to get it from the internet, the cd or the drivers? thxxx

edit: i got mbp, i just bought it.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Call Apple Customer Service, they will replace the disc for a fee, or risk your luck on the torrents. It is against forum rules to post a direct link to copyright violations.

B

14. sohh macrumors newbie

thx so much for the attencion.

But wicht one should i get? The snow leopardo one? Just give me the title. But i still can't understand why updating bootcamp to 3.2 doens't install the corect driver.

Thanks so much

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Call Apple, tell them exactly which model Mac you have and they will send you the correct disc for a price.

Because it is an update only.

B

16. sohh macrumors newbie