Unrecognized External Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Guitarman89, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Guitarman89 macrumors newbie

My drive has been recognized up until today when I powered on my late 2011 Macbook Pro 13 on. I have tried removing and reinserting the USB to the hub and the ports on the side of the laptop. As a side note, I am also using an external monitor. Not sure if I need to get it recognized by doing things in any particular order. The drive has power and the light is on in the front of the drive. I have been using this drive as a Timeline backup.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Order doesn't matter. Does it show up in Disk Utility when you have it plugged in?

3. Guitarman89 thread starter macrumors newbie

It does not show in the Disk Utility. This has happened before and I only removed and plugged it in and it was recognized again.

4. Frankie4Fingers macrumors newbie

Can you enter Time Machine from it's menu? Does TM recognize the drive?

unplug the cable from the drive port. Reinsert.

Try another USB cable.

I doubt it's the drive at fault. Typically they'll just stop "spinning up".

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Oh really? Many years of tech experience tells me otherwise. This statement is not at all accurate. More often than not, it's the head that fails, not the drive motor, which would mean that the drive does indeed spin up (why put it in quotes, that's exactly what the drive is doing...) but no data can be read.

HDDs will always fail, I've seen them fail a month from new, and I have an old IDE drive that's about 7 years old and still going strong... you never know.

6. Guitarman89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just removed the mini USB side from the drive and replugged it in and the drive reappeared on my desktop. Not sure why, but thanks, I am good for now.

7. Frankie4Fingers macrumors newbie

That's nice. Thanks for sharing.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I'd back up the data on it ASAP. It may be nothing, or it may be an intermittent issue that will get worse over time. Can't be too safe.

You may be OK with spreading misinformation, but that doesn't mean I'm going to just let it stand.