Unregistered Imac worth registering?

carmelsan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
HI. I received the Imac G5 as a christmas gift from an ex. I was wondering if I could purchase an applecare plan for it if I didnt buy it, don't know where it was bought, or if it was purchased from a legit dealer?

I have 2 other Macs and the powerbook has a warranty (which came in handy btw). The G5 has been giving me problems, and I want to save on big bills if the issues are going to continue or get worse (The computer keeps putting itself to sleep, every minute or so, I took it in to my local apple store, they had it running for a week straight and it NEVER went into sleep mode on them, but of course, 24 hours after I got it home, same problem started), I think it's going to need a major rehaul.

Since I don't speak to my Ex anymore, I wouldnt have any information pertaining to the purchase of this computer

I sure would appreciate some insight on this matter.

cheers.
:D

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
carmelsan said:
I sure would appreciate some insight on this matter.

cheers.
:D
Apple can calculate from the serial numbers when your G5 was made and pretty much where it was sold. However, the first one is the most important as they will (like most company's would) likely back date it to as early as possible, in order to shed as much warranty as they can.

If it was a Christmas present in 2004, you might be pushing it.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Carmelsan, go to "About this Mac" (click the blue Apple logo in top left corner of menu bar) and click on the gray Version 10.X.X twice until it shows you the serial # of your computer (you could also just click "more info")... then go to Apple Support, scroll down a little and on the right hand side is a blank field for you to enter in your product's serial #. It will tell you some more info such as how long you have AppleCare for.

Hope that helps...

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
devilot76 said:
Carmelsan, go to "About this Mac" (click the blue Apple logo in top left corner of menu bar) and click on the gray Version 10.X.X twice until it shows you the serial # of your computer (you could also just click "more info")... then go to Apple Support, scroll down a little and on the right hand side is a blank field for you to enter in your product's serial #. It will tell you some more info such as how long you have AppleCare for.

Hope that helps...

That's cool, you learn something new every day. It proves my point though. My PM was bought (by us) in February 05, yet according to Apple, the estimated purchase date was: 16-Oct-04. Is there a way to correct it? Do you contact Apple and tell them?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
AlBDamned said:
That's cool, you learn something new every day. It proves my point though. My PM was bought (by us) in February 05, yet according to Apple, the estimated purchase date was: 16-Oct-04. Is there a way to correct it? Do you contact Apple and tell them?
Hmm that's a toughie... a receipt mayhap? Or if you used a check card/ credit car an invoice showing an $X amount purchase at Apple Store at X location? *shrug* Sorry, those are my best ideas so far... :eek:

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
devilot76 said:
Hmm that's a toughie... a receipt mayhap? Or if you used a check card/ credit car an invoice showing an $X amount purchase at Apple Store at X location? *shrug* Sorry, those are my best ideas so far... :eek:

Well, first point of call would be the supplier so it's not a major hassle but I think, given the OP's situation, if he is in a similar boat, he may well be screwed :eek:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
AlBDamned said:
Well, first point of call would be the supplier so it's not a major hassle but I think, given the OP's situation, if he is in a similar boat, he may well be screwed :eek:
I'm guessing that you're referring to this sentence of the OP:
carmelsan said:
Since I don't speak to my Ex anymore, I wouldnt have any information pertaining to the purchase of this computer
Worst comes to worst, if a receipt is necessary or credit card bill... I think it just might have to warrant an awkward chat w/ the ex. Unless of course, the thought of potentially paying $$$ isn't a big enough threat. :rolleyes:

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
devilot76 said:
I'm guessing that you're referring to this sentence of the OP: Worst comes to worst, if a receipt is necessary or credit card bill... I think it just might have to warrant an awkward chat w/ the ex. Unless of course, the thought of potentially paying $$$ isn't a big enough threat. :rolleyes:
Depends how well they get on these days. ;)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
That's COOL!

My estimated purchase date for my iBook is 11-August-05. That's actually 1 day before it arrived at my house. That's excellent! I thought they would count from when I actually bought it.

It says estimated. When you really claim AppleCare, do they REALLY have a date, or still use this "estimated one"? I would like to know for 100% sure the day that my 1 year is up so I can plan accordingly to buy Apple Care.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
ITASOR said:
It says estimated. When you really claim AppleCare, do they REALLY have a date, or still use this "estimated one"? I would like to know for 100% sure the day that my 1 year is up so I can plan accordingly to buy Apple Care.
I'm pretty sure they go by this date... although, w/ something like AppleCare, perhaps you'd do better to go in-store to ask or call in.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I would certainly recommend that you inquire at your local Apple Store. You have within the first year to purchase to get AppleCare.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
When I registered my new iBook online at the start up page , I also happened to call Apple about the way to transfer old data off my powerbook. (That is a thread in itself.) They asked me then the date of my purchase and I told them, fully aware that all AppleCare and Applecare extended warranty will be locked into that date three years from now. I do know that I had problems with a Tibook right around its three year birthday and that because I spoke to Apple about a problem on the exact last day of the warranty, they honored the repair (a new logic board!!!!) when the machine was sent in to them the next few days. Apple care pays off if you treat them with due respect.