Unregistered iPhone re-appeared on Support Profile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tezcatlipoca, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

I went onto my Support Profile today on Apple.com to check my list of registered devices before setting up the new Two-Step Verification, and noticed that my old iPhone 4S was still listed, even though I removed it back in October when I got my iPhone 5.

I have removed it (again) but don't understand how it could have been listed.

I definitely removed it back in October, and still have the email from Apple saying that it was unregistered.

As far as I know, my Apple account has not been compromised. No one has hijacked it and locked me out, no mysterious purchases have been made, etc., and my password is relatively long and contains different types of characters and no dictionary words. I have checked my account using iTunes: only one computer is authorised (my computer), and only three devices are associated with my account for purchases and Automatic Downloads: my computer, my iPhone 5, and my iPad 3. NB: In the device section, iTunes still calls my iPhone 5 by the name I gave my 4S, but that's presumably because I first set it up using the iCloud backup of the 4S and it seems stuck with the name (even the name on the phone has since been changed). It is definitely the 5 that's an authorised device, as I've checked by removing it using iTunes and reauthorising via the phone.

The iPhone 4S was securely wiped ("Erase All Content And Settings") prior to later selling it via a mobile phone recycling website (& my paranoia actually caused me to wipe it more than once, but that's just me...), plus before wiping it I signed out of everything too anyway.

The only thing I can think of (other than someone else somehow registering it with my account!) is that it re-appeared due to me still using it for a few days after the initial secure wipe and unregistration, as I was waiting for my mobile phone number to transfer from my iPhone 4S network provider to my iPhone 5 network provider:

I registered the iPhone 5 and unregistered the iPhone 4S via the Support Profile website on the same day in October (the day I got my iPhone 5).

The iPhone 5 was set up using the iCloud backup of the iPhone 4S.

The iPhone 4S was securely wiped as mentioned above... but then reactivated via WiFi (*without* entering any Apple ID or iCloud information at all) simply so I could still use the phone number before it transferred to the new SIM for the new network in the iPhone 5. I don't remember connecting it to my computer while using iTunes, but it's possible that it may have been connected to charge. Once the number and SIM transfer went through with the new network, I wiped the 4S again.

Could that reactivation while still using the same SIM and phone number have put it back onto the list of registered devices on my Support Profile, even though I did not sign back in to iTunes / iCloud / Apple ID on it, and purely did a WiFi activation post-wiping so I could use it temporarily while waiting for the mobile number port?

As it was only listed on the Support Profile, and was not present in iTunes as an authorised device, is there anything to worry about?

Cheers :)

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

What about your old sim card?? The old sim card is associated with your account, icloud, imessage etc. I don't think it is any risk because the new owner doesn't have the proper credentials but you should always remove the sim card after wiping and maybe activating the phone as a new phone.

3. Tezcatlipoca thread starter macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

The old SIM only stayed in the 4S for the few days or so it took for my number to port over from the old network to the new one. Once that happened, I wiped the 4S again, took out the SIM and destroyed it, and sent the 4S off to the mobile recycling website.

4. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Happens to me often with iPads and iPhones that I have sold. I just delete them again from my profile. I don't think it is anything to worry about. I believe it just defaults back to your support profile when the new owner sets up the iOS device.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No it isn't.

Probably not.

There have been quite a few cases of "ghost devices" appearing in people's accounts.

My account had an iPod mini (I've never owned or used one for longer than about 30 seconds) and an iPod with Click Wheel (I didn't have that model either).

6. Tezcatlipoca thread starter macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

Sorry for the bump, but I've noticed this again :confused:

I logged on to my Support Profile yesterday, and noticed that the iPhone 4S had reappeared once more.

It was not there when I logged on to the Support Profile in October to remove the iPhone 5 and add the iPhone 5S, and was not there in November when I logged on to remove the iPad 3rd gen. and add the iPad Air.

As I mentioned before, I use a long random password with 2-step verification, my account has not shown any signs of having been hijacked, and no mysterious purchases have been made. Also, my Apple ID password has been changed at least twice since the 4S reappeared on the Support Profile in March.