Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hi,

Nearly to weeks ago I bought a brand new MacBook Pro and registered it through the Apple website. However, I had a DVD superdrive failure on it and took it back to PC World where they gave me a replacement.

My question is how can I unregister my old MacBook Pro that I took back to the shop?

The reason I ask is that once the MacBook Pro (that I took back) gets repaired it will probably be put on the Apple Refurbished site and the person who buys it will not be able to register it as it is already registered in my name.

Please advise

Art

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Another question is do all UK stores like Comet, Currys, John Lewis and PC World send broken Macs back to Apple? Or do they fix the machines themselves and resell?

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
Don't worry about deregistering your serial.

If Apple's any good at the refurb process, they should automatically clear your serial from their database, or assign the unit a new serial when it is resold.

I don't recall them doing the former with Macs that they had replaced for me, so I think the latter is much more likely.

Either way, it's not your problem to be concerned with.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Correct, the unit will be given a new serial number (starting with RM) if it's sold refurbished.

jW

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Correct, the unit will be given a new serial number (starting with RM) if it's sold refurbished.

jW

They used to do that pre-UB. I just looked at my uni-refurb MBP and there's no overt reference to its refurb origins in the SN.

But, as someone pointed out earlier, they must clear the data or reassign SN - otherwise it would be a nightmare for apple service to track.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Hi,

Nearly to weeks ago I bought a brand new MacBook Pro and registered it through the Apple website. However, I had a DVD superdrive failure on it and took it back to PC World where they gave me a replacement.

My question is how can I unregister my old MacBook Pro that I took back to the shop?

The reason I ask is that once the MacBook Pro (that I took back) gets repaired it will probably be put on the Apple Refurbished site and the person who buys it will not be able to register it as it is already registered in my name.

Please advise

Art

I suggest contacting AppleCare; they can address this issue.

Habitus :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.