Unreliable Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by freeman727, Oct 26, 2009.

1. freeman727 macrumors 6502

I have a 2009 MP and I hate the unreliability of bluetooth in OS X. I constantly get drops of my BT keyboard and/or mouse. The funny thing is they work well in the Windows 7 Boot Camp. 2 there may be 2 culprits: 1) Logitech MX 5500, which is not officially supported on Macs 2) Steermouse. What have other people's experience been?

2. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Hi there,

I have been battling with this myself. I just put my MacPro1,1 in the living room for HTPC duty and the built-in Bluetooth was good for about 6 feet with an original Apple Wireless Keyboard (it wouldn't even pair with the Apple Wireless Mouse).

I went to MicroCenter today and picked up a Class 1 Zoom Bluetooth USB transmitter for $15. It has a 100 meter range, according to the package. So what the heck, I bought it.

Here's the cool thing: as soon as I plugged it in, the internal Bluetooth radio turned itself off. I re-did the pairing on the keyboard, and I can comfortably sit across the room now and type with the original Wireless keyboard - solid as a rock. It does disable the option to wake the Mac with a Bluetooth device, but I don't care too much about that. I'm still using a Logitech MX900 Bluetooth mouse with it (haven't tried the Apple Mouse again yet) and it works fine.

Just FYI: I'm using Plex 0.8.3 and this program is the shizzle. Very nice. Hulu and Shoutcast work well, but not everything is rock solid yet.

Find a Zoom 100M radio and your problems should be over.

JP

3. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

After pulling my hair for a while, the conclusion unfortunately is Steermouse. It worked well for a while and then started to wreak havoc on my mouse bluetooth connection. Oh well, that is probably why LCC doesn't work with the MX Revolution mouse.