Unreliable USB ports on PowerMac G4 MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MrCheeto, Mar 21, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I currently have an iPhone and the Apple Keyboard and Mouse from about 2003.

Of course the PowerMac has USB 1 ports, but I've added a USB 2 PCI card. Both work, but the problem is that only half of the ports seem to work at any time. For instance, one port will work on the PCI card and one board-port will work for the keyboard and mouse.

I plugged the mouse into the "non-working" port of the PCI card and it just lights up but is unable to move the cursor on the screen.

Then, if I plug an iPhone into the mac, sometimes it will work with that port, other times I will have to move it to the other port.

What's going on here?!

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Seems like something wrong with your USB card. You can try in other PCI slot (but i doubt that it could help).
    Is it on Nec chipset or VIA? Most Nec based are working properly without additional drivers, these VIA based needs drivers.

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It's a VIA, and I installed the proper drivers as well. It worked at first without drivers, perfect! After drivers it's been on and off, too iffy to judge.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Then try uninstall drivers and check. If it will not help, maybe consider to buy something on Nec chip?

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I've always had problems with VIA chipsets when I had one in my G4/G5. Even scouring the net for the "proper" drivers never seemed to help. Ditch it and buy one with the NEC chipset in it. Those VIA chips are cheap Chinese knockoffs, really.

6. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

7. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

This is a bit freaky, but don't iPhones require USB 1.0, even to charge?!

I'm able to sync my iPhone with my onboard ports 0.o

Also, I notice that if I plug a thumb drive into my PCI port, it "wakes" the PCI device. Is there a known way to keep PCI devices active on the old MDD's?