Unresponsive area on iPhone 3G touch screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nad8e, Aug 4, 2010.

1. nad8e macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 3G with an unresponsive area from the top of the screen (where it shows the "service" part of "no service") all the way down through the E S D Z and X keys. :( This makes life miserable when trying to type in an app that won't work in landscape mode!

I have restarted the phone multiple times. Could this be caused by a loose cable? Or is this likely a broken screen? I did replace the screen about 6 months ago.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts before I buy a new screen!

PS: No, I don't want to buy a new phone. And, I really doubt a restore will fix this issue.

2. housemusic101 macrumors newbie

Take it to the Apple Genius Bar.

Last year on my 3G, the whole bottom row was unresponsive (dead strip). Was right after 1 year warranty and I really didn't want to have to buy a new phone myself only 1 year into contract at the price. He offered to open up phone for free and reset a cable as first option for free. It worked.

Because at first I did all the restoring and it didn't help.

3. nad8e thread starter macrumors regular

I'll actually do it myself as I've opened the phone before. If it's just the cable, no use buying a new digitizer if it's just a loose cable!

Thanks!