Unresponsive browsing in Finder

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by stianJ, Feb 2, 2014.

1. stianJ macrumors newbie

Suddenly I now get the spinning wheel of death every time I scroll in a folder in Finder. Once I try to scroll down in the folder, it becomes unresponsive for about 10 seconds, then I can try to scroll again, and same thing happenes. This has never happened before, and I don't see why it appears now. Is this a common problem, does anyone know what I can do to fix it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Dumb question, did you reboot?

I'd also run the Disk Utility to repair your drive, it may be data corruption on the drive itself that is causing problems.

3. stianJ thread starter macrumors newbie

I have rebooted, and also run Disk Utility, it didn't find any errors..

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is it a specific folder or all folders?

Did you try using the Terminal to see if you can navigate to that folder and issue the ls command?

5. stianJ thread starter macrumors newbie

It's all folders. I have now changed the setting under General > Show scroll bars to always. Then it only hangs when I scroll to the bottom or top of a folder. So now I can scroll in the folders, expect when I hit the top or bottom, then I have to wait 10-15 seconds. So frustrating.....

6. overheated macrumors member

suffering the same beachball when rooting through folders in the finder. it is exacerbated when attempting to drag and drop files or folders in the finder.

I have uninstalled both "Google Drive" and "Dropbox" but this has not fixed it. attempted to boot into "Safemode" to assist in diagnosis however I have not been able to get into as others have had issue with in 10.9.

getting rather frustrated.

7. stianJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Same here, can't figure out what the problem is. Never had it before, just suddenly appeared.. :mad:

8. stianJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I finally figured it out! Your comment regarding Dropbox and Google Drive helped me. I'm using Synology CloudStation as an alternative to Dropbox, and this application is the problem. I removed it, and now Finder is working perfect. If you also have CloudStation installed, I recommend to remove it!