Unresponsive Buttons Bug? - iPhone 7+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by natwister2003, Sep 26, 2016.

1. natwister2003 macrumors regular

I just got off a call with my dad and none of the buttons were working (home, power, or volume). The touch screen was working fine, but since the none of the buttons were working, I had to turn on assistive touch for a brief moment by swiping down the notification center, swiping right to access Spotlight, and searching for settings using the mic. Not long after going to the home screen did my phone begin registering the previous inputs using the buttons. This is the first time this has happened to me since having the phone, and it seems to be a software related since none of my buttons were being registered. Anyone experience this as well, or any quick thoughts?

Edit: The taptic feedback for the home button was working just fine when the phone wasn't registering it, FWIW.

2. kaielement macrumors 65816

I had the same thing happen twice since I have had my iPhone 7 since launch. Wasn't sure if I should take it to Apple or if it was a software issue that would be fixed in an update. Anyone have any into please share. I mean I have one year warranty to get a replacement With Apple having short stock I might wait until the holidays are over, or see if the issue gets worse. Funny both times happened when I was on phone calls.

3. natwister2003, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

natwister2003 thread starter macrumors regular

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this happen so far. I've been on many calls before and the fact that it's only happened this one time so far could probably suggest it is software (10.0.2 on T-Mobile Wi-Fi). Though the lack of response to the thread could mean no one else has had this happen to them and shouldn't be that common...?

4. lovelybai macrumors member

Happened to me twice.
    The first time, I have to press home and power for ten secs to reboot which makes it seem like a software issue. The second time, it fixed by itself after I keep clicking.

5. dan-K macrumors regular

This just happened to me for the first time also - was using WhatsApp and I couldn't use any of the buttons, however the touch screen remained responsive. What are we thinking, hardware of software related?

6. ventmore macrumors 6502

Had this happen last night. Only time it's happened so far.

Took my 7 plus off the charger. The a creen would activate with raise to wake, and the Touch ID would unlock the phone so it said "Press home to open", but it wouldn't register the press.

Pressing the power button didn't turn the screen back off either, so it wasn't registering the power button.

Power button + volume down reset the phone - though it seemed to take a few extra seconds - and everything was fine after that.

Probably just a software bug.

7. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Reminds me of the issues that use to occur with the Samsung Instinct...if anyone remember this was one of the first phones to use haptic touch about a decade ago but had all sorts of issues

8. kaielement macrumors 65816

funny thing even the hold down the power button and home button didn't work for me. Seems the phone just started working fine. But it has only happened twice so far.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

To restart the new phones you have to hold the volume down button instead of the home button.

10. kaielement macrumors 65816

That might explain a lot lol