Unresponsive 'G' Key

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaywl, Feb 1, 2008.

1. jaywl macrumors newbie

All of a sudden, my G key is semi-unresponsive. It still works, but not normally the first time I press it. So when I type words that contain a "g," I often see it missing and need to go back and enter it again. Quite a nuisance. Any ideas what this might be? The Apple Care lady asked me to download this update that was supposed to treat an unresponsive keyboard (which has apparently been a problem for some Leopard users). Didn't fix it, though. And it's just this one key.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's just how my 'Y' key is on my Apple ][e. I just have to push slightly forcefully from the top and it'll work. I even opened the case to clean it, but I still have to push relatively hard. Kind of annoying in games, "Do you want to save? Y/N"

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

MacBook or MacBook Pro? Does it feel funny when you press it (like perhaps there's something stuck underneath it)?

If you have an Apple Store near you, I might just take it in and see what they have to say about it. Are you still under warranty or AppleCare?

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

My rev. A MB had a similar issue with one of the keys, though I could feel the key catching or hanging on something. After Apple replaced the topcase (which includes the keyboard on Macbooks) the problem was solved. Mine was replaced because of multiple reasons (sticky key, cracked areas near lid latches and discoloration) but I had no issues with Apple getting it replaced under warranty.

5. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

they replace the "top case" for free? if its under warrantee right? do they do it in store or do you have to send it in?

because my 9 key is just slightly unresponsive. like it works 4 out of 5 times, but if i don't press it hard enough it doesn't register.

9999999999 < i pressed it 12 times

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

My replacement was free under warranty, as I think is the general case unless the topcase is cut with an axe or smashed with an hammer, etc. In other words, if it is a defect relating to the topcase then it probably will be replaced under warranty.

I sent mine off as the closest Apple store to me was a 1 1/2 hr drive one way, so mailing it off was my most cost effective option. I assume if they have the part that it can be done in-store.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They have to send it in to one of their repair facilities...my PowerBook took ten days.

The keyboard and the top case are a single unit in the MB, but separate in the MBP.

8. jaywl thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried 'Dust-Off' -- helped

All, thanks for the replies. The one comment about whether the key feels funny made me think. It did feel a bit different. I tried blowing some compressed gas between the keys (I have a product called 'Dust-Off') and it seemed to help. The key seems pretty normal now, at least much better than before. Thanks for all the comments.

gggggggggggg - pressed 12 times for 12 g's!

Hey, btw, I didn't purchase Apple Care with my MBP because my credit card doubles the one-year warranty to 2 years. In your experience, is AC worth the investment?

Thanks all,
    Jay

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's a source of endless debate on these forums. In general, extended warranty plans are a money-maker for companies that offer them. So in that sense, the odds are that you won't make your money back in repairs. But the same is true of all insurance, and yet we buy that all the time. It's a personal decision you have to make about whether you can or want to absorb the possibility of an expensive repair or replacement instead of a certain, smaller upfront fee.

That said, the fact that you have an extended warranty already included through your credit card decreases the benefit of AppleCare to you, so I'd probably not bother with it.

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I have the same issue with my J. One day it just started being difficult and kinda makes a clicking sound when I hit it. It's the aluminum keyboard btw.

11. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

The same thing happened with a few of my keys, most recently the C key. Doesn't seem like it would always recognize or detect when I pressed it, and I'm pretty sure I would press it just as I did the other keys. Not too bad now though.

12. brbell01 macrumors newbie

unresponsive arrow keys

Yeah so Im following this thread and thinking the solution to my unresponsive arrow keys might not require plunking down 200 bucks for a repair? Can I take off the keyboard on my macbook pro to air blast out whatever gunk might be lurking underneath?

cheers
    Bruce

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You should be able to carefully(!) pop off the individual key caps to see if there's anything stuck under there and give it a good blast with canned air.