Unresponsive Home button potential cause?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dukebound85, May 12, 2011.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have been trying to figure out why sometimes my homebutton has no issues, and sometimes it takes a few presses to register on occasion

I think the issue may be related to how much ram is free in the device as I have noticed when I quit all the apps in the background, the home button has not had issues until apps get added and eat away the memory

For those that have issues with this, feel free to tell me your results if you try this

2. Zandian macrumors regular

I've been noticing this too since 4.3.3. It's driving me nuts.

I swear the button physically works fine.

I've even tried to close all open applications. It seems to happen most in email and the facebook app. Other times I've tested it and it seems perfectly fine. It seems like a low memory problem, but again I've tried it even with closed programs. I have 2.9GB free available space out of 32GB total. Carrier is AT&T-if that might matter.

Z

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

i swear the home button worked fine for me when i first got my verizon iphone, but now it seems sluggish, and only at certain times. maybe memory usage has something to do with it. i dont think its a hardware problem, and i hope apple can fix it.

4. paulking macrumors member

I think I've fixed my homebutton

My ip4 button became finicky about oct 2010, 3 months after purchase.
    One click would get the multi task tray, some clicks would not register, sometimes 2 or 3 clicks needed to close an app etc…

I'm running the original os- 4.0 (I'll upgrade when os 5 comes)

Anyway, I saw a pic of a dismantled phone showing lots of dust under homebutton so today I did a simple thing- I held down the button and blew into the little opening around the button. Try not to spit if possible!

Compressed air might help too. But my method is doable instantly.

Result- I'm amazed that this months long pain in the a-- problem seems to have gone away! I've tested double click numerous times with both hands and varying amounts of pressure and works every time.

Try it. The only think to note is the hold down of the button will launch the voice recognition app but just ignore it.