unresponsive iphone screen after reset / restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by csd1971, Nov 7, 2009.

1. csd1971 macrumors newbie

I have jailbroke / unlocked 3G iphone. Was having some issues with unresponsive screen ie couldn't slide unlock button and keyboard not working but typically ok if I pushed sleep then home button. When Blackra1n became available I upgraded to 3.1. Same issues persisted until finally there is no response. I tried to re jailbreak and unlock and nothing (in large part due to the fact that I couldn't complete the unlock because I can't use the screen). I've done several resets and 2 restores. Screen still is unresponsive. 2 questions - are there any options that I can try at home? And is there a way to go back to apple and receive support from them - possibly by relocking the phone?

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

If you're still under warranty, bring it in to Apple after restoring it using iTunes.
    As long as it wasn't accidental damage, they should deal with it.
    If you're out of warranty, you'll need a new digitizer for your phone. (Basically the LCD Display+Touchscreen).
    You can Google how to do that easily.

3. csd1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your feedback. I've seen some mixed reviews on replacing the digitzer etc. Do you have personal experience?

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

It takes some skill, namely not damaging your iPhone when your doing it.
    If you order the screen/digitizer from a reliable source, you should be okay.
    There are quite a lot of tutorials on how to do this.

And yes, I do have personal experience. :p

5. csd1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

No problem! That's what we're here for! Got an Apple problem, report here! :)
    Good luck!

7. csd1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

so just randomly my screen started sporadically responding....and now has stopped again. It is no longer jailbroken /unlocked and I'm fairly certain there isn't any indication that I had previously done so. I don't have the warranty anymore. Given this information do you still recommend replacing digitizer etc. There is a tiny crack in the screen which happened long ago so I don't think it's part of the problem.

Thanks in advance!

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

If you manange to get the phone respondig again, just take it Ito an Apple Store and get an ot of warranty battery replacement. Thy replace your phone with a refurbished one (pretty much new) so you can be on your way again. Of course, they check to see if your phone is working.
    If you can't get your phone working, you need to replace the digitizer. Apple can do this for you for $199, or you can do it for around 100. Or, you fan send it in to a third party for 150-ish.

9. csd1971 thread starter macrumors newbie