unresponsive keyboard & trackpad, logic board repair possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spannerhead, Sep 6, 2010.

1. spannerhead macrumors newbie

The keyboard and trackpad on my macbook cut out about six months ago and since then I've been using an external keyboard & mouse. I've only just got round to taking my computer in to be looked at at the genius bar, and what I've heard back is that the connections between the logic board and keyboard top section are damaged, and I've got a quote for <£400 for both to be replaced, which is apparently the only solution. The bulk of the cost is the new logic board, and seeing as it's only a connection rather than the processor itself that is damaged, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to have the logic board component repaired or replaced rather than replacing the entire thing. Thoughts?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

They could just be BS-ing you to get you to pay for a new logic board to be honest, if you're fairly competant at looking at computer internals, check the ifixit guides below on replacing the top case/keyboard etc. I don't know what model MB you have, so you'll have to find the correct manual. You can look at the connection yourself and see if it is actually damaged on both ends, my keyboard and trackpad used to be faulty, I only had to have the top case replaced because the keyboard controller (which is attached to the top case) was faulty.

iFixit Guide