Unresponsive mouse / keyboard on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noiseordinance, Feb 21, 2013.

1. noiseordinance macrumors regular

Hey, just curious if any other rMBP owners (15" in particular) have ever experienced this. I use my laptop about 10 hours a day, and maybe once/twice a day, this will happen: I'll be typing, and suddenly half of my keystrokes aren't registered; I'll go to move the mouse but the cursor is gone... it's as if the keyboard and mouse stop responding. Suddenly the mouse cursor comes back and I can type just fine. It lasts for about 10 seconds, and then goes away. I noticed this on a previous rMBP before having it swapped out for an unrelated issue, so I'm guessing it's one of the many bugs still needing to be worked out.

Anyone seen this? It's not a big deal, but somewhat annoying.

2. walkie macrumors 6502

This happens during swapping from the nvidia GPU back to intel HD4000 GPU.

3. noiseordinance thread starter macrumors regular

That's interesting. I don't notice this when I turn off automatic GPU switching. As one of the many bugs that needs to be addressed on rMBP, I hope it's taken care of in 10.8.3.

4. noiseordinance thread starter macrumors regular

I posted this a few months back and thought I'd revisit this issue. Originally, I encountered this problem with 10.8.1, and started this thread with 10.8.2 when the problem persisted. There's been two updates since and the problem still persists. It was suggested that this occurs when switching between GPUs, though I can't trigger the event when I manually turn off auto-switching.

a) Does anyone else still have this problem?
    b) Would there be any hope for a fix if I were to do a clean install of 10.8.4?

5. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

I have experienced the missed characters when typing fast. But I think it is more related to the corner of me left hand triggering the top left corner of the track pad, bit like the palm check isn't working, or the track pad is too sensitive.

The mouse never stops though, so maybe this is unrelated.

6. noiseordinance thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, definitely unrelated. I'll look up at my screen and see that my whole sentence is missing a bunch of characters so I'll backspace and try again, but half the keystrokes register, so I'll try to move the trackpad and the cursor is totally gone for several more seconds. Really annoying.

7. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

happens with me as well i notice my cursor isn't responding strike a key and its back. while typing rarely the keystrokes wont register for a bit.
    While switching graphics sometimes my screen goes white for 1-2 seconds and back to normal as if nothings ever happened.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can't say that I ever noticed this on my rMBP. I use my laptop all day for work and its always responsive.

9. anorton macrumors newbie

I've also noticed this using my macbook for 16 hours a day during revision periods.

Think it warrants a visit to the apple store? Or just wait for more updates?

10. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

This use to happen to me when but hasn't happened for a while. 13" rmbp btw. Now I have problems with my cursor disappearing.

11. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

seems to be a software glitch. But incase both keyboard or trackpad disappear at the same time leads me to believe its the usb bus their connected on. Had this issue where both trackpad and keyboard would not work at all. Logic boards usb bus was at fault.