Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I went ahead and put my 12.9 iPad Pro 2017 model onto iOS 12 public beta yesterday. Will report on whether this has any impact on this problem.

Reactions: Aussi3

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Apple took in my iPad for repair. They ran extensive tests and found no problem with the hardware. they didn’t even manage to reproduce the error… Their theory is that they reset the ipad, reinstalled the ios and that this solved the problem. i’m testing the ipad now and i have zero irresponsiveness… So i don’t really think this is necessarily hardware related
lol..what you said made no sense at all...if they couldnt reproduce the issue therefore they couldnt confirm anything you stated their theory(guessing) the reset the ipad... you do know that you can have a hardware issue but your test doesnt show any issues correct?

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
It’s nice to know my post made you laugh out loud :)

I’ll try to be more clear then. They reset everything when they received the device as a standard practice, then afterwards they didn’t experience the error. As I stated later however, the error is now reoccuring on my device.

As for the hardware part, I’m not an expert on how they measure these things but you’re probably right that hardware issues might be hard to detect. They simply stated in their letter that my iPad met their standards for a functioning device.

Just out of curiosity, if they can’t detect hardware issues then who can? I mean they’re the manufacturer of these devices.

Non-Polar

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2017
So I think I may have the same issues? It's happened twice now in a span of a week. I would be using my iPad, when all of the sudden the whole device freezes. I can't go to the home screen, can't turn it off. Funnily enough, Notability still recognizes my Apple Pencil. After around two or three minutes, the screen turns off, and I have to unlock it again. I luckily recorded all of it in case I need to bring this up to Apple. Really contemplating on whether I should return this or not.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
So I think I may have the same issues? It's happened twice now in a span of a week. I would be using my iPad, when all of the sudden the whole device freezes. I can't go to the home screen, can't turn it off. Funnily enough, Notability still recognizes my Apple Pencil. After around two or three minutes, the screen turns off, and I have to unlock it again. I luckily recorded all of it in case I need to bring this up to Apple. Really contemplating on whether I should return this or not.

Return it.

But try disabling gestures and see if that resolves it first

Non-Polar

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2017
I'm returning the iPad Pro. Got the 2018 model 128GB variant for little under $350 shipped with that eBay sale yesterday. Just sad as to how Apple is handling its "premium" devices like the iPad Pro's and MacBook Pro's.

Reactions: kazmac and g75d3

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Yeah, this is definitely frustrating as hell. My replacement iPad was fine for a few weeks and now it’s starting to do the same thing my original did, just not as bad... yet. It’s already starting to miss keys as I type on the onscreen keyboard which is extremely annoying.

Interestingly, when it stops responding, changing the angle by tilting the iPad slightly towards or away from me will usually cause it to start working again. Perhaps a sensor isn’t reading correctly. I don’t know... I give up. Makes zero sense to me what’s happening.

g75d3

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2014
I am in the same situation as you. The most frustrating thing is that apple diagnosed my two iPad pros and said they couldn’t find anything wrong with them. They didn’t even watch the video I took as a proof of the issue.

Reactions: seadragon

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, this is definitely frustrating as hell. My replacement iPad was fine for a few weeks and now it’s starting to do the same thing my original did, just not as bad... yet. It’s already starting to miss keys as I type on the onscreen keyboard which is extremely annoying.

Interestingly, when it stops responding, changing the angle by tilting the iPad slightly towards or away from me will usually cause it to start working again. Perhaps a sensor isn’t reading correctly. I don’t know... I give up. Makes zero sense to me what’s happening.

Same. On my 3rd replacement and this one is doing it too. Wtf? I’m selling it on eBay this weekend.

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West
My 12.9 series 2 has had this issue for a while also.
I reckon it starts to creep in as the the temperature of the device increases.
It does not get uncomfortably or unusually hot though.
It occurs with stylus and finger contact.
I have used a glass screen protector since new.

m

Reactions: Donoban and g75d3

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Mine has started thus issue too. However only becomes unresponsive at certain angles. Like tilting the iPad at about 20-30 degrees.

The angle does have something to do with it on mine too. Changing the angle will cause it to become responsive again.

For example, when docked in the Smart Keyboard and it becomes unresponsive, tilting the iPad forward slightly causes it to start working again. Same thing when holding it.

This is so bizarre.

Reactions: canesalato

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
The angle does have something to do with it on mine too. Changing the angle will cause it to become responsive again.

For example, when docked in the Smart Keyboard and it becomes unresponsive, tilting the iPad forward slightly causes it to start working again. Same thing when holding it.

This is so bizarre.
exactly what I am experiencing. Gosh.

Reactions: canesalato

Sodium Chloride

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017

This is so bizarre.

What if you lay it flat on the table, do you still have the problem?

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
What if you lay it flat on the table, do you still have the problem?

It’s usually fine when laying flat. I’m starting to think it’s something to do with a sensor. I’m using my 9.7 iPad Pro as I type this and I’ve never had a problem with it and it’s super responsive. Something definitely wrong with the 12.9.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
I got this on my 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 inch a few month after I got it. Since this unresponsive screen has been with me everyday.
I wrote somewhere here that turning off the multitouch gestures will help on the problem and so I did.

In my case, it has worked perfectly fine. Same usage as before without the problem at all so it might be software after all of what I see. If you have the problem then try to turn off the multitouch gestures to see if the problem will continue.

Reactions: Donoban

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I got this on my 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 inch a few month after I got it. Since this unresponsive screen has been with me everyday.
I wrote somewhere here that turning off the multitouch gestures will help on the problem and so I did.

In my case, it has worked perfectly fine. Same usage as before without the problem at all so it might be software after all of what I see. If you have the problem then try to turn off the multitouch gestures to see if the problem will continue.
It continues, but somehow less. My theory is that if there is a problem with the touch screen, having multi touch gestures enabled will multiply the instances in which imprecisions in touch tracking will cause problems and be noticeable. Therefore, I don't think disabling gestures solves the issues but makes them less noticeable. Perhaps, for people who are experiencing this problem in a less severe form, this is enough to solve it. In my case, i still experience it quite often.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I have this same issue with my 10.5. What ALWAYS seems to fix it (temporarily) is to completely clean the screen with a microfiber cloth. My theory is that the new high-refresh-rate screen introduced on the second gen 12.9 and the 10.5 is more sensitive to touch than previous iPad screens, and therefore begins to sense dirt and grime on the screen even when the screen is only slightly smudged. It senses this dirt/grime as if there are other fingers touching the screen, which causes the screen to sometimes become unresponsive or become jumpy instead of having normal smooth movements.

This would also explain why the Apple Pencil always works fine, which is that it has palm rejection, thus rejecting the dirt/grime which otherwise would cause the issue.

Typically if I exit the app and go right back in (no need to even force quit the app), that will do the trick. I think that causes the touch screen to reset itself. Eventually if I don’t clean my iPad screen for a few days, it will happen more and more often, and will seem as if the screen is very glitchy. However, cleaning the screen once again restores its function to like-new again, at least for a few hours of use until the problem resurfaces.

I’ve considered getting a tempered glass screen protector with an oleophobic coating as a possible fix. Has anyone who has this issue tried using a screen protector? In theory, that could solve the issue (if my theory is correct).

Really nice solution to this issue! My 10.5 Pro is just beginning to have this issue, but then I realized that the screen is particularly dirty. Good job, well said!

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Wow! All of these stories of nonresponsive touches has me really concerned.

Recently, I sold my excellent 10.5" pro and was considering getting the 12.9 2nd edition (used). For me, the larger screen became more appealing. However, with the touch problem being not only present, but also, unrectified, I am not getting one.

Perhaps, at the Apple stores, the Genuises don't have a solution and are waiting for word on how to fix the problem? Hopefully, it's a software bug and Apple fixes it.

Soon (I believe), they will introduce new iPads and they better get them right.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Im calling tomorrow to the customer service and ask them to give an explanation to this issue and when we can expect it to be fixed. Im sure it is not a hardware problem, because so many people have it and new replacement devices start behaving the same way. Surely they already have heard about it many times and have some sort of answer.

My ipp 12,9” 2nd gen becomes unresponsive from time to time and especially when charging it. However, when it is unresponsive it reacts to the pencil as normal but not reacts to my fingers at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.