Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirtylilhobo

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Southwest USA
Just unboxed new iPhone 12 Pro Max went through the setup restore procedures installed IOS 14.2.1 and ended up with a device that has absolutely no screen response whatsoever. Doesn’t matter if I hold it, lie it down, it just doesn’t work. I expected better from Apple... No one else has issues?

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Just unboxed new iPhone 12 Pro Max went through the setup restore procedures installed IOS 14.2.1 and ended up with a device that has absolutely no screen response whatsoever. Doesn’t matter if I hold it, lie it down, it just doesn’t work. I expected better from Apple... No one else has issues?
Have you tried rebooting and resetting? The Usual stuff

Reactions: dirtylilhobo

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Yes. It’s a sequence. Hit volume up, then volume down, then hold the power button down until it gives You the option to shut it down

dirtylilhobo

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Southwest USA
Yes. It’s a sequence. Hit volume up, then volume down, then hold the power button down until it gives You the option to shut it down
I have done that and help the power button until the apple icon came up..still unresponsive. Cannot use the slider since I cannot move it on the screen..

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Try connecting the phone to your Mac (if you have one) and then press and release the volume up, volume down. Press and keep pressing the power button until the phone screen shows Recovery mode. You should then have the options on the Mac to update or restore the phone. Pick restore. This method bypasses having to use the phone screen at the moment.

Last edited:

dirtylilhobo

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Southwest USA
Try connecting the phone to your Mac (if you have one) and then press the volume up, volume down, and then the power button. Keep pressing the power button until the phone screen shows Recovery mode. You should then have the options on the Mac to update or restore the phone. Pick restore. This method bypasses having to use the phone screen at the moment.
Ok, I’ll try that..

Buckeye2009

macrumors member
May 10, 2017
Columbus, OH
I've had mine since launch day and just last night it happened to mine. Fortunately a hard reset fixed it. Hopefully it's not going to become a regular event. Never happened with my 11 P.M.

dirtylilhobo

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Southwest USA
Well, the DOA iPhone 12 Pro Max 512 Pacific Blue is on its way back to Verizon..

Geeesh, what a nightmare trying to get them to honor their return and replacement.. Go to this store, they refused cause I bought it online. Go to that store for online purchased phones, store was closed UFA due to health order. Argue with CS for two hours while they research my “options”. I told them the only option I’ll agree to is them sending me another phone and I’ll send this one back..hours later, finally..!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.